Changing the Narrative: North Atlanta’s First Playoff Win

Full Speed Ahead: Trey Lennon and the Dubs were too much for Lovejoy to handle.

North Atlanta had gone 1,092 days without playoff football. In 2019, the Dubs fell short in a 41-27 game against South Paulding, forcing an early exit to a historic season. Fast forward to 2022, and the Warriors were on the brink of history yet again. Following a strong 7-3 regular season, the Dubs made the hour-long trip to Lovejoy High School for a tough first-round matchup against their former-region rivals. 

Entering the game on a two-game win streak, North Atlanta capitalized on their momentum, cutting through Lovejoy’s defense like butter and putting the Wildcat’s offense in a complete chokehold. At the half, the opposing scoreboard read 23-0, the Dubs were in the driver’s seat and 24 minutes away from history. “The boys were putting in work early,” said senior Warrzone Leader Mac Perno. “The student section had to match their energy all night long.”  

Coming out of the break, Lovejoy was a completely different team, putting up ten in the third quarter, and clawing their way back into the game. The Dubs had the seemingly impossible task of containing Lovejoy halfback Trevon Kinchen, who had most of his 269 rushing yards in the second half. Kinchen was not the only dominant force in the game, as North Atlanta’s playmaker Trey Lennon had 153 yards in the air, 84 yards on the ground, and three touchdowns. “It was a total team effort,” said Lennon. “The offense did their job, and the defence did theirs.” 

As the clock continued to wind down, Lovejoy was inching their way back into the game. With under two minutes, Lovejoy had the ball down just six. That was until Chase Linton stepped on the field. Linton, a sophomore defensive end, called game when he spoiled an attempted screen with a strip sack, giving the Dubs the game-icing touchdown and the school’s first-ever playoff victory. “Coach called my number,” said Linton. “I was going to do everything I could to win that play.”

When the final whistle blew, the North Atlanta sideline and student section erupted in cheers. The 30-17 victory leads the Dubs into uncharted territory, but the team looks ready. The night ended with Head Coach Jamie Aull, the mastermind behind the historical win, falling victim to a celebratory Gatorade shower. With the win the Warriors clinched a second-round spot and a home playoff game, both are firsts for North Atlanta. The Warriors will take on Houston County in a historical matchup at Henderson Stadium, where the Dubs will look to do it all over again.