NAHS Hope Squad: Spreading Light to Warrior Hearts and Minds

Since+2004%2C+Hope+Squad+National+Council+and+school-specific+clubs+have+developed+a+comprehensive+and+successful+peer-to-peer+suicide+prevention+program.+North+Atlanta+students+continue+the+legacy+in+an+attempt+to+prioritize+Warrior+mental+and+physical+wellbeing.+

Hope Squad National Council

Since 2004, Hope Squad National Council and school-specific clubs have developed a comprehensive and successful peer-to-peer suicide prevention program. North Atlanta students continue the legacy in an attempt to prioritize Warrior mental and physical wellbeing.

Hope: a feeling that so many need and want. While maintaining physical and mental health is a difficult task that takes immense patience and has no “quick fix,” North Atlanta’s Hope Squad shines a light on prioritizing hope and well-being. 

The Hope Squad is a national peer-to-peer suicide prevention council founded by Dr. Gregory Hundall 2004, the former principal at Timpview High School in Utah. A series of mental health issues within Timpview High School led Hundall to create a safe space for student suicide prevention across high schools in Utah. Since the kickoff of the Timpview High School club in 2004, the Council has expanded to 41 states in America and Canada. It impacts 45,000 members and 8,000 students supported by and referred to the club. Of those 41 states, Georgia is one, with the addition of a Hope Squad club to North Atlanta in 2020. Entering its third year at North Atlanta, students and involved staff continue to construct a resilient peer support network. “As we enter the new year, our goal is to refocus club members on the true meaning behind the creation of the Hope Squad National Council in an attempt to unify the mission with Warrior voices,” said Co-Vice President Chase Hankin. 

The Warrior Hope Squad consists of roughly 50 members across all grades. While 50 members may seem significant, ten to twelve students from each grade become official, trained members through a selective application process. The club’s intimate nature ensures that highly-trained students can assist peers school-wide with suicide prevention efforts. In addition, club representatives can collaborate with members to support a dynamic and expansive mental health network. During the fall semester, the squad held “Hope Day,” in which positive phrases were written by students and posted on sticky notes outside the cafeteria. “Creating a support system for the North Atlanta student body is an eye-opening and inspiring experience,” said Co-President Tanner Adams.  

Life’s stresses and strains are heavy on Warriors of all ages. NAHS Hope Squad aims to lighten the load and let no student go unheard.