JSU’s Fearless Leader: Macy Margulius Gears Up For Graduation

Senior Macy Margulius, an inspirational leader at North Atlanta, heads to college to use her developed leadership skills at U Pitt as she prepares to study sociology.

Each year, many seniors at NAHS take on leadership positions in clubs both to stand out to colleges and to support the organizations they hold dear to them. For senior Macy Margulius, leading the Jewish Student Union for the past two years has been very beneficial in both developing her leadership skills and being able to grow closer to the Jewish community. With graduation just around the corner, she’s focusing on both prepping the club to continue functioning for years to come and reflecting on her time at NAHS.

For Margulius, stepping into the leadership role at JSU was a natural action after her sophomore year. Previously, Margulius had shown her commitment to the club by attending the monthly meetings, even once they were moved to Zoom. Additionally, she has been a huge advocate for the Jewish community at NAHS and Sutton. She has taken her experiences with anti-Semitism and advocated against it so that others do not have to face the same troubles. The previous JSU President noticed this commitment and appointed her as their successor in leading the club. Once appointed, Margulius worked to coordinate with Rabbis, club members, and various teacher sponsors. “It makes me very proud to have created a community of Jewish students at NAHS that wouldn’t have otherwise existed,” she said.

As graduation approaches, Margulius is reflecting on her times at NAHS. Right now, she is working to find a new president that will work to support the JSU in the coming years. Furthermore, she has been reflecting on herself and how her leadership skills have come to grow. Not only is Margulius president of JSU, but she is also the current president of the Student Diversity Leadership Team at NAHS and a leader in her Jewish youth group that encompasses all of the greater Atlanta regions. For those looking to lead, she offers some advice centering around being passionate. She recommends finding your passion and working to grow in many different fields involving it. This shows colleges your dedication and leadership that might set you apart from others. “If I had only been president of JSU, I think it wouldn’t have been as helpful as diversifying and being a leader in many different settings,” she said.

One thing for sure is that Margulius has developed the skills to succeed in college and beyond through her various leadership communities. She is a force to be reckoned with and will continue making waves as she heads off to the University of Pittsburgh to major in sociology. The example Margulius has set forth of leadership and advocacy is exemplary of both her current Dub and future Panther spirit.