D1 Dub: Leela Langston Commits to College of Charleston

From NAHS to CofC: Leela Langston hits a home run all the way to College of Charleston with her softball commitment

Every serious student-athlete dreams of playing at the next level, taking their talents to a bigger field after high school. These dreams have become a reality for North Atlanta’s very own star softball player, Leela Langston. A catcher for the Lady Dubs and the East Cobb Bullets, Langston verbally committed to the College of Charleston on March 14th. 

To many people’s surprise, Langston only began playing softball at age 13, after years of playing baseball. Growing up, she played baseball on the NYO All-Star teams every summer, and once she transitioned to softball in high school, she knew it was the key to her future. “I realized I wanted to take softball seriously my freshman year of high school,” said Langston. “That was the first year that I started travel softball, and it was the year I started getting attention from college coaches.”

The recruiting coordinator at the College of Charleston reached out to Langston the first day it was allowed: September 1st of her junior year. The coordinator informed Langston that they were interested. She reciprocated that interest when taking an unofficial visit the very next week. After assessing all of her options, she made a decision. “I wanted to make sure I was satisfied with my decision before announcing it,” said Langston. “Charleston checked all the boxes for me. I decided it was the right place for me when I visited again about a week before my commitment and fell in love with the city.”

Her time playing at North Atlanta has been well spent with a team that is like family. Since Langston’s freshman year, the team has capitalized on its talented roster, finishing with an undefeated season in region play in the past fall. Langston has been a key player since the start, with Coach Ricky Plante batting her at the top of each game’s line-up. “My favorite softball memory was from this past season when we beat Marist 8-0 and the game ended in a mercy rule,” said Langston. “On the second pitch of the game, I hit a home run over the left field fence, and it was amazing to see my team waiting at home plate to celebrate. This win was especially great because Marist was voted pre-season #1 in our region, and we lost to them last year 12-0.”

As her fourth and final season approaches in the fall, Langston looks forward to senior night and making a further run in the playoffs. With this big future ahead of her, she has reflected on her softball journey and wants to thank her Dad for all he has done for her and her progression in the sport throughout the years. “My dad has been so influential in my development as a player and person,” says Langston. “He has been to every game I have played since I was six-years-old, cheering me on.  No matter what kind of game I had, I always knew that he was proud of how I played.”

Moving forward to college, Langston is thrilled about many things, such as meeting new people and being in a new environment that just so happens to be on the beach. While her time at North Atlanta is not over yet at North Atlanta, the Dubs softball community is already dreading the end of her senior season. All the Dubs congratulate Langston on her commitment and wish her the best of luck! Go Cougars and Go Dubs!