Senior Stride: 2023 Soon-To-Be Graduates Prepare for Send-off

Taylor So

Friendly Farewells: Senior best friends congratulate each other on their post-highschool endeavors after working their way up the eleven stories in the past four years.

After four years of walking the halls of North Atlanta High School, seniors say their last goodbyes and prepare themselves for a new beginning: college, career, and beyond. May 26 is approaching, the day hundreds of students gather with caps and gowns, ready to walk away with a diploma. Relatives whip out cameras as siblings dream of when this special occasion will come for them. While other grades are focused on exams and tests, the class of 2023 is busy gearing themselves up for the biggest day of their high school careers.
As the final month approaches, seniors ride through a rollercoaster of emotions. After making memories of laughter and stress in the past four years, saying farewell has been challenging for many. Teachers wish their students good luck as they depart for a new life outside of school, and families come around to the fact that their child has grown up. Senior Sasha Stanley recognizes both sides of the bittersweet goodbye. “It’s great to know this chapter is closing, and we’ve made it through,” said Stanley. “I just can’t believe we’ll be on our own soon.”
While seniors prepare to walk out of North Atlanta, they must first walk across the stage to grab their diplomas. After four years of hard work and dedication toward their futures, they will finally have a chance to display their progress over time. Seniors will have two weeks of rehearsals in preparation for the choreographed event, but the emotions behind the big day cannot be replicated. “I will be very sentimental on the ceremony day,” said senior Addie Nash. “My entire family will see me graduate after working hard all this time.”
Behind the scenes of preparations for this prominent day is mathematics teacher and graduation coordinator Nancy Hunter, who has led graduation preparation for several years. As a previous North Atlanta alumni, she enjoys carrying out traditions she experienced as a senior leading up to the exciting event. Hunter orders all the diplomas, caps, gowns, and class shirts and organizes senior celebrations. This year, festivities include a senior breakfast, senior sunrise, and a class party at Main Event commemorating the ’23 Dubs’ last year at North Atlanta. “When I became a teacher here, I knew I wanted to be a part of such an important occasion,” said Hunter. “It’s my favorite thing to do, watching students grow and finally being able to graduate.”

While graduation has called for bittersweet goodbyes and the end of a journey at North Atlanta, it also indicates a fresh start someplace new. With warm memories of the past and big dreams for the future, the class of 2023 prepares to take their final bow and is ready to push out the doors of high school and enter a new chapter of their lives. Goodbye, 2023 Dubs. The best is yet to come.