Myla Somersall: A Promising Face of the Future

After+acceptance+into+10+universities%2C+with+over+%241.1+million+in+merit+scholarships+earned%2C+Myla+Somersall+has+made+the+Warrior+name+proud+with+her+commitment+to+Emory+University+as+a+Martin+Luther+King+Jr.+Woodruff+Scholar.+

After acceptance into 10 universities, with over $1.1 million in merit scholarships earned, Myla Somersall has made the Warrior name proud with her commitment to Emory University as a Martin Luther King Jr. Woodruff Scholar.

A year of lasts is coming to a close for the senior class of 2023 and a future of firsts is quickly approaching. As our talented seniors prepare for the coming years of college, stress is taken off their shoulders bit by bit as they receive their acceptances and, for some, even a much-deserved scholarship. Or maybe even four. Senior Myla Somersall has made the impressive achievement of acceptance into 10 universities, earning four full-ride scholarships in the process: Emory University’s Martin Luther King Jr. Woodruff Scholarship, Vanderbilt University’s Chancellor’s Scholarship, University of Miami’s Weeks Scholarship, and Louisiana State University’s Presidential Scholarship. 

An accomplishment of that significance is one that will only come to students with the most drive and passion, traits that Somersall exhibits fully. She entered her freshman year at North Atlanta as a new student to APS, but lost no time in becoming involved. As all high schoolers know, extracurricular activities are vital to college applications, but what Somersall quickly realized is that passion is the true value of any involvement. As a high school student in the IB program, Somersall stayed both organized and involved, joining Best Buddies, FBLA, tennis, and the Harvard Debate Council Diversity Project, as well as writing articles for VOX Atlanta, and representing NAHS at the Georgia SuperIntendent State Advisory Council. “The advice I would give to rising high school students is to join things that you’re passionate about,” said Somersall. “You’ll be more interested in going and following through with that commitment.”

Throughout her years of schooling, Somersall has worked hard for the sake of her family. As a daughter of immigrants, showing appreciation for her parent’s sacrifices towards her education has always been important. As the eldest of four children, Myla is the first of her siblings off to college and has a bright future, paving the way for her three younger brothers. “ I want to be able to show them that anything is possible when you put your mind to it,” said Somersall.

After much deliberation, Somersall has recently announced her decision to attend Emory University in the coming fall on a full-ride scholarship. As she begins her college career, Somersall plans to major in political science and Spanish on a pre-law track. With a younger brother with autism, she has seen firsthand the disparities that people with special needs face every day within our society. Her passions continue to push her towards a future of fighting for more inclusivity in education systems and throughout society. “My little brother has autism and inspires me every day,” said Somersall. “His journey has really motivated me.”

Year after year, North Atlanta’s classrooms have produced the most driven students, and Myla Somersall is a perfect example of the Warriors’ very best. In the years to come, she will appreciate her newfound freedom, grow in her talents and passions, and make her mark on the world for the better.