Key Club: Not About Keys but Human Connections

For those who think Key Club is a club where people make keys, you are wrong. “Key Club is an international student-lead organization with opportunities to provide service, build character and develop leadership,” said Alexis Cohen, the club president.

The types of service students take on in their community include cleaning parks, collecting clothing, and organizing food drives. In the club, students learn leadership skills through running meetings, planning projects and rising to elected leadership positions at the club, district and international levels. The last day people can turn in the $30 fee for joining Key Club is October 17, so it’s not too late for anyone to join.

Last year there were around 45 students involved in Key Club. Although there is no minimum or maximum number of community service hours a student can earn, on average students earn around 50. The faculty-staff advisor last year was media specialist Sheila Howard who was very involved with the club during her 10 years of advisement. She retired at the end of the 2013-14 school year.

Felicia Stewart, the new media specialist is the club’s new advisor. Club officers are Cohen, president; Paul Spiegl, vice president; Ky Hoang and Taylor Jackson, secretaries; and Rachel Morales, treasurer.

Cohen’s favorite experience last year with the club was visiting the Georgia Sheriff’s Youth Homes in LaGrange where club members met boys who had suffered through, abandonment, abuse, and discipline problems. Students said although the circumstances were hard at the homes, they found it inspiring to meet, talk and play games with the boys. “This truly opened all of our eyes to the reason why Key Club’s motto is ‘Caring: Our way of Life.’ This taught us that through service we can impact the lives of others,” said Cohen.

At the end of the school year, Key Clubs in Georgia all come together for the District Convention in Athens. At this event everyone elects the 2015-2016 district officers, attends workshops and entertaining sessions, puts on a talent show and enjoys an elegant dinner. The convention is the biggest event of the year and Cohen would love for at least half the club members to attend.

To improve Key Club this year, the officers and advisors plan to organize more out-of-school service acts, and have an opportunity once a month for the members to serve inside and outside the school. Key Club is a fun way to earn community service and it looks great on a college application. All students are encouraged to join Key Club to make a difference in the world.