Worldly Warriors: Vacation Dub’s Style

Dennis Racket
The Dubs were all smiles on their trip to Japan this summer with the Worldly Warriors.

Imagine having the opportunity to travel the world with a close-knit group of your classmates. This is made possible with the Worldly Warriors, North Atlanta High School’s very own incredible travel program. The program has traveled to around 20 different countries, and most recently this summer they traveled to Japan. Dr. Deanna Hasty, AP language and composition teacher, leads the program along with several other NAHS teachers and parents. 

Through the Worldly Warrior program students get the chance to see the world and learn about other cultures. They have had over 200 kids travel to 20 different countries with ten different teachers. Most of the trip itinerary is planned by Education First (EF) Tours, but it couldn’t be done without the help and leadership of teachers, parents, and – of course – the student participants. Throughout the past few years, the program has grown, which brings more trips and places for students to explore. “It kind of developed into a thing of its own. I have this wanderlust passion,” said Hasty “I want every kid to know about other people and see the world.” 

The Worldly Warriors is an excellent chance to see the world, especially in places you wouldn’t normally visit such as Japan, Budapest, or Prague. This past summer the Dubs headed to Japan. Japan is probably the farthest place the program has gone to, but it also brought on a lot of cool new knowledge about the culture. The country has numerous cultural differences from the USA or Europe, where the program has gone in past years. Many medications are illegal there and there are no trash cans in Tokyo. Students got the chance to see the world from another lens and learn more about Japanese customs and social norms. They learned how to appreciate and respect other cultures. “I loved seeing the kids learning about different cultures, trying different foods, learning how to behave in a shrine – and then if they got a bad reading at the shrine – seeing what they had to do to get rid of the bad juju,” said Hasty.

The Worldly Warriors program is one of the many institutions at NAHS that enrich students educationally and culturally. The program gives awesome opportunities to students, teachers, and parents. The best way to travel is truly with the Dubs.