More to Come: What Is the Next Step in NAHS’s Mural Project?

Juniors Rhys Wills, Brie Richardson, Siena Schettino, and Mary Woodward are feeling the spirit with the Warrior Mural!

Envision a North Atlanta encompassed in bright paintings and artwork generated by its very own students: this is the goal of Principal Curtis Douglass and the Art Department. North Atlanta’s atrium is decorated with vibrant, winged koi fish that appear to be swimming up the staircase. The cafeteria is adorned with a fierce warrior decked out in North Atlanta’s colors and emblem. These are just the beginning of an ambitious plan to have murals spread out across the Dubs’ very own campus.

Allison Shepard, a resolute art teacher at North Atlanta, shared her aspirations for murals this year. Shepard approaches murals as a joint collaboration between her and her students. When approached by students with ideas for a mural or the ambition to create one, she acts as a mentor in helping refine and enhance their ideas, before they go to get approved by Mr. Douglass. In some cases, Shepard will suggest a broad idea for a mural, and rely on students to hone in on the specifics, including color, feeling, details, additions, etc. “I want their ideas. I don’t want to be the one that says ‘This is what we’re doing.’” she said. 

Warriors also have a hankering for murals this year, especially members of the National Art Honors Society, or funnily enough, NAHS  for short. Having met with Shepard earlier this year, members have brainstormed ideas and shared their thoughts regarding this school year’s potential mural progression. Grace Nyberg, Vice President of NAHS, is among those with plans of doing a mural themselves. “A mural I would love to work on this year is one that represents the community and diversity of North Atlanta!”, she said.

Murals are something for every Dub to see and feel a connection to. Not only are art students appreciative of such expressive perspectives. All students are reached by these paintings, including junior Anna Hammond. “I think it’s really cool how people are able to express themselves and have everyone at school see it.”, she said.

With two done, and many more to come, North Atlanta’s mural progression has just begun. Murals have the power to transform a space, and emit positivity through the art that is featured. They allow students and teachers to be heard, and provide a learning experience with end results that are sure to have Dubs ready to (Van)GOGH into the day on the right note!