A Slew of New: North Atlanta Welcomes New Teachers

Welcome to NAHS: Spanish teacher David Beek enjoys his first year in the lively halls of the eleven stories.

These educators are the freshest of faces in our building. They are not the freshmen as you would expect, but they are our new teachers! A total of 25 teachers are among the North Atlanta teacher rookies and each in his or her own way is bringing new ideas and energy to the 11 stories.  

Angela Warner/Geometry. Warner, who teaches freshmen and sophomores, came from Jean Childs Young Middle School in Atlanta Public Schools. She said she misses her old colleagues but has already established some great teaching friends in a new building. “I’m adjusting well to North Atlanta,” she said. “The school is huge so learning the school is challenging, especially getting on the elevator and finding where everything is. I feel like I’m a freshman!”

Dr. David Beek /Spanish II. Beek taught for five years at the University of South Carolina while completing his Ph.D. in Comparative Literature. Teaching at North Atlanta is his first high school post. Some big adjustments coming from the collegiate teaching levels are contending with things like cell phone use and bathroom policies, despite these potential setbacks, Beek says he’s enjoying the experience.  “There are a lot of duties for a teacher that goes well beyond teaching class, but I’m hanging in there,” he said.

Candice Henry/ Chemistry. Henry came with a stellar teaching pedigree and was named an APS District Teacher of the Year for 2022-23. Now in her 20th year of teaching in a new setting, she came to North Atlanta from Booker T. Washington High School. Her biggest adjustment has been the shorter lunch periods at her new school. “That’s made for some faster chewing,” she said. “But I’m just really enjoying my new awesome students.”

First Sargent Joseph Barker /JROTC. Barker came to North from Therrell High School but prior to teaching, he worked in law enforcement as a police officer. Mentoring kids and having them see how he can help mold their future is his number one goal as a teacher. “I love the diversity within North Atlanta, I love the fact that you can sit here with one class and have different students from all walks of life,” he said.

Chelsea Hardee/Special Education. Before North Atlanta, Hardee was at Henry County and has been teaching for over 10 years. Though intimidated by the building, she said she feels all the love from the faculty and staff and is grateful to be here. Hardee is adapting well to the way North does things as well as APS. With a determined mindset and a big heart, she is ready to see their progress and happiness. “I’m excited and I can’t wait to see the growth in my students as well as myself,” she said.  “I wouldn’t be here if I couldn’t take on a challenge.”

As the year progresses, we’ll see the teachers adapt to the spacious building belonging to the Dubs. The new school year brings eagerness and jitters to recently hired teachers. Some feel like newbies, yet are all prepared to take on the challenge of developing innovative methods to prepare students. We are delighted to welcome the new educators and see what they have to offer.