The Road to IB: Dr. Thompson Takes on a New Challenge

Kristen Duncan
From FAMU to Teaching You: Dr. Mia Thompson shows off her students’ literature work.

Senior Multicultural Literature teacher Dr. Mia Thompson has officially made her debut in the IB program. Her 10th-floor transition established Thompson as a Junior literature teacher for three of her six classes. A more rigorous workload for her students also means some adjustment for Thompson, but she is ready and willing to accept this new challenge.

Before joining the North Atlanta community, Thompson attended Florida A&M University (FAMU), where she graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Journalism and a master’s in English Education. FAMU is best known for its cultural literacy and appreciation, values that would create important connections for Thompson. These relationships would provide a stepping stone to success in a world of professional networks and, even more so, familial ties at Thompson’s southeastern college. “The FAMU experience was more than just an education.” Thompson said, “It was a nurturing bond where everyone was FAMUly!”

After college, she looked to North Atlanta for the rigorous academics and curriculum that encouraged college readiness. While she had not had any experience in IB at first, she was drawn to North Atlanta High School because of its international focus. She wanted an environment where she could affect positive change in a place where she could promote critical thinking and inquiry. “As a first-year IB teacher,” Thompson said, “I feel empowered to learn, grow, and facilitate in a space that encourages open-mindedness in student thought, sparks curiosity in investigation, and promotes balance in thought, creativity, and inquiry.”

After 20 years of teaching, seven of which were at North Atlanta, Thompson is ready to be an IB teacher. In her classroom, she instructs on not just literature but creativity and critical thinking. She is excited to impart her passion for the pursuit of knowledge to her students. Her years of professional teaching and prominent education have prepared her for the rigorous world of IB. So far, the welcome to IB has been a smooth transition, bringing a unique style of teaching to North Atlanta. From FAMU, to teaching you, the new IB teacher, Dr. Mia Thompson, is ready to take on her new role.