Taking Listeners by Storm: Students Share their Favorite Podcasts

Juniors Brie Richardson and Rhys Wills take part in the podcast phenomenon sweeping the halls of North Atlanta High School.

It seems that the North Atlanta student body is over the constant ruckus of background music and has moved on to bigger and better things: Podcasts. Though their rise to popularity was quick, they took the world by storm. With over 467 million worldwide podcast listeners, these numbers continue to grow. People are leaning into podcasts rather than books or movies because they can listen to them on the go, making them a convenient option for the busy Dubs. 

A major podcast plus is their wide variety that gives everyone something to enjoy. Everything from nail-biting true crime stories to laugh-out-loud comedies has been made into interesting, addicting podcasts that never fail to keep listeners hooked! Popular podcast, The Deep 3, analyzes basketball in a way that keeps fans informed without boring them to sleep along the way. Senior Jackson Young loves all things hoops, including this podcast. “I enjoy listening to this podcast,” he said. “They provide interesting commentary on basketball uniquely and in a fun way!”

Yet another adored sports podcast is Sharky Does Sports, more widely known as SDS. From football to soccer, Sharky and his friends discuss hot topics in sports. Varsity soccer-star, Brian Feagin constantly listens to this podcast to keep up to date with sports and to cure his boredom. “Soccer is my biggest passion,” he said. “And listening to SDS gives me such great insight into the game.”

Not only are there sports podcasts, but also podcasts that err on the side of gossip. These conversational pods capture the attention of many students and leave them wanting more.  Junior Rhys Wills can personally attest to this phenomenon with the podcast, Brooke and Connor Make A Podcast. “I love listening to podcasts when I get ready in the morning,” she said. “And B and C is such a wholesome and funny way to start the day.”

As podcasts continue to climb the popularity ladder, students are becoming more and more invested in this new form of entertainment. They are already on the up with older demographics, but now they are influencing the youth. Look out world, podcasts are the next big thing.