Going for Gold: High School Girl Scouts

Some+of+North+Atlanta%E2%80%99s+own+as+younger+Girl+Scouts%21+
Some of North Atlanta’s own as younger Girl Scouts!

Thin Mints, Samoas, Do-si-dos, and more. Those are just some of the delicacies offered by the institution known as the Girl Scouts. The typical image of a Girl Scout consists of pigtails, a badge-covered sash, and a smiley face asking “Would you like to buy some Girl Scout cookies?” But what happens when they graduate from their elementary days? While high school Girl Scouts may be few and far between, the individuals that have continued, are reaping the benefits. Girl Scouts is not only fun activities and eating cookies, it can also be a challenging undertaking as the years progress. Older Girl Scouts exemplify the commitment and follow-through ability that is rarely seen today.

For most, being a part of a Girl Scout troop provides a welcoming, fun-spirited environment. With opportunities ranging from camping trips and roasting marshmallows to planting trees on Earth Day, Girl Scouts has something to offer every participant. Troops also offer educational activities, such as STEM-related experiments and inviting speakers to bestow knowledge onto the Scouts. Junior Anderson Benedict still feels the impact of Girl Scouts on her character, “It taught me how to embrace my creativity and love others as well as myself,” she said.

Through hands-on activities, 1st-grade to 12th-grade girls have the opportunity to collaborate with others and learn more about themselves and the world around them. Retired Girl Scouts hark back to their cookie-selling days with admiration. Sophomore Ellie Lane often reminisces on her experiences in Girl Scouts, “For me, Girl Scouts was filled with selling cookies and collecting fun badges,” she said.

Not only do Girl Scouts provide a welcoming community, but scholarships and awards are also available to Girl Scouts with a desire to go to college. A continuation of being a Girl Scout through high school can show an unwavering commitment that colleges look out for. When applying to colleges, many advisors have noted being a Girl Scout is beneficial to acceptance probabilities, as Girl Scouts play an essential role in character and the development of important skills. One exemplar of this is junior Katherine Lane, who is currently in her pursuit of the Girl Scout Gold Award. “Preparing for college applications can get to be stressful, but I am glad I have the opportunity to set myself apart by participating in Girl Scouts,” Lane said. “The chance to be given scholarships and awards for engaging in activities with some of my closest friends is a unique opportunity for sure.”

Being a member of Girl Scouts past elementary school can provide many admirable qualities in an individual. After graduating from the facile activities done as Daisies or Brownies; (lower ranking Girl Scout positions), the number interested in continuing Girl Scouts usually drops tremendously. That is why the Girl Scouts who have continued through high school are looked upon with respect and admiration as they continue their journeys with the Gold Award.