Harmonizing Excellence: The Vibrant Symphony of North Atlanta’s Marching Band

Kaleigh Fleming
Beyond The Notes: The North Atlanta Marching Band plays the night away with harmonious instruments and melodies.

During every football game and pep rally, the crowd is never truly alive until the soundtrack of North Atlanta’s school spirit arrives: the marching band. As these musically inclined students populate the stands, no words are needed to express their upbeat energy – just a melody. Their entertainment through the use of brass, woodwind and percussion instruments serves as the foundation for North Atlanta High School’s energy. With dedication and effort, the marching band has not only left an indelible mark on the school but has also earned recognition across the state, securing titles for their precise routine and rhythm.

In order to maintain their reputation for excellence, much work goes on behind the scenes. Band Director Adam Brooks, in his 17th year of teaching band at North Atlanta, prepared the team for the upcoming season throughout the summer. Starting in early July, their training spanned several weeks, involving eight hours of conditioning and rehearsals each day. Throughout the school year, the marching band has daily practices after school until six in the evening in order to prepare for football games and weekend competitions. “The students truly rose to the occasion this year,” said Brooks. “They were able to push through the challenges of the season and overcome any obstacle that crossed their path.”

Due to their dedication, the marching band has earned many titles this year. At the Berkmar Invitational in October, they took second place in their class and claimed first-place awards in both the Drum Major and Drum Line categories. This accomplishment was significant as it marked their first competition of the season, featuring a routine with the Silver Stars, who swept across all categories. The following week, they competed in Raleigh, North Carolina at the US Band Circuit where they secured the title of Grand Champion. This success was a repetition of their previous year’s win at the same event. “It felt so rewarding to have our work pay off,” said senior Omosede Edoigiawerie. “I didn’t expect anything less from this group of talented students and it’s bittersweet to realize this will be my last year with them.”

As they have won many awards across states, they have also gained recognition across the school. The marching band plays at every football game, home and away, rallying support for the players and entertaining the crowd. They are often recognized for their consistent energy throughout the night, never faltering. During games, the band plays familiar melodies, putting a unique spin on popular songs to engage students. Like many of his peers, sophomore Christopher Shankwiler’s favorite part of the night is his time in the stands. “On game day, hype is all that matters,” said Shankwiler. “Our football team’s performance comes with the student body’s ability to keep the energy up and have fun in the stands.”

Like many North Atlanta organizations, the marching band has dedicated much time to their craft. By showcasing their artistry to the school and the state, they have met many milestones, establishing a reputation for themselves and their community engagement. Without the band, the school would not have a soundtrack for their spirit or an anthem for their energy.

View Comments (1)