Twas the Nightmare on Christmas: The Worst Gifts to Give/Receive

Get+rid+of+gag+gifts%3A+Sophomore%2C+Bradley+Koontz%2C+less+than+excited+about+an+unfunny+mug+for+Christmas.+
Bradley Koontz
Get rid of gag gifts: Sophomore, Bradley Koontz, less than excited about an unfunny mug for Christmas.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year – except for the friends, family, and relatives of those who may be considered “bad gift-givers.” Bad gifts are truly up to personal preferences and opinions as one person’s nightmare could be another’s treasure. Spanning from gag gifts (very hit or miss), unsuccessful and awkward regifting, or maybe just something terrible – a bad present is something no one wants to open come Christmas day. 

Gag gifts are a popular practical joke type of gift that can include anything from fart sprays, to “grow a boyfriend” kits, to whoopee cushions. While these gifts usually bring laughs and fun to Secret Santas or White Elephants with friends, they might not be as exciting when they’re found wrapped up under the tree on Christmas morning. Gag gifts are excellent when they’re appropriate for the occasion, and you are sure that the gift receiver will love it, but if there is any uncertainty about the adoration for the humor of this gift, it probably means you should brainstorm some new ideas. “I love gag gifts, I think they’re hilarious!” said sophomore Hasan Saadi. “I know some people don’t like them – but that just means they have a bad sense of humor.”

An awkward regift is something no one wants to experience. At some point or other, everyone has probably given a bad gift to someone, but the only thing that could be worse would be having that terrible present regifted back to you. Regifting can usually be done successfully – except once you think about the fact that you are burdening another person with this terrible present. Regifting can leave you feeling guilty and regretful after reflecting on the fact that someone put thought, time, and money into originally buying you that present. This is especially apparent when you give back to the person who gave you the gift. Most people take this incredibly offensively and often feel a large lack of appreciation for the effort and care that went into the present. “My family hosts a white elephant every year at Christmas. This past year my neighbors brought in the gift we got them last year,” said sophomore Madeleine Fluke. “Let’s just say it was not a pleasant surprise when we opened it.”

Many families are prone to having at least one grandparent, aunt, or uncle who just cannot buy a good gift. Whether you receive ill-fitting clothing, passive-aggressive messages within the present or other completely random items, gifts from the family can be a difficult and controversial topic. It is important to remember that even if you are not very fond of the gift, you should try to be grateful and loving. Sophomore Blair Carter has had her fair share of pretty terrible gifts. Between receiving tarnished earrings giving her an ear infection and lots of clothes that both didn’t fit and were pretty ugly, Carter said, “While I love her, my aunt seems to have a particular gift of finding the absolute worst presents every year.”

One bad gift will not ruin someone’s holiday, but you definitely do not want to be the bearer of bad gifts. Gag gifts are always fun, but do have to be right for the occasion. Regifting is always a risky move that can make or break someone’s night, and relatives are usually 50-50 whether you’ll get your dream or nightmare.