‘Fall’ into Entertainment: Teens Love their Comfort Shows

Ayana Ragin
Portable Entertainment: Senior Mia Simpson watches her favorite show, Gilmore Girls.

With the onset of fall comes different colors, crisp air, and entertainment. A comforting season complimented by a television show or movie is the perfect way to get into the fall spirit. There are many shows and movies that North Atlanta students gravitate toward when it is this time of year. A diverse range of entertainment that all fall under the umbrella of comfort and warmth. The aroma of pumpkin spice and the sound of leaves rustling outside create an idyllic backdrop for cozying up to beloved characters and captivating storylines. 

The first episode of the hit fall classic, “Gilmore Girls,” came out in 2000. This show will make you feel like you’re right alongside Rory and her mother as they face simple yet daunting problems in their adorable hometown of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. The show has a comforting sense of humor, which allows the audience to completely fall in love with the characters. A show of similar stature is “The Vampire Diaries.” This series is set in a fictional town, Mystic Falls, and revolves around the lives of two vampire brothers, Stefan and Damon Salvatore, and their entangled love for a young woman named Elena Gilbert. Both shows are perpetually set in a fall haze, which is why so many students here at North Atlanta gravitate towards it during the chillier months. Freshman Aya Ghamlouch enjoys both shows in the fall. “Watching these shows really helps me to get in the fall mood,” she said. “As soon as the air starts to get crisp, I know it’s time to rewatch my old favorites.” 

Entertainment does not just come in the form of shows but also movies. Scary movies, in particular, are a great way to get into the fall spirit, especially with Halloween festivities taking up most of the season. Junior Emani Campbell is a scary movie fanatic. Her favorite during this time of the year is “Terrifier 2.” She finds the spine-chilling narrative and the intricately crafted suspense of the film to be the perfect embodiment of the Halloween spirit, with its masterful blend of horror and dark humor. The main character, Terrifier, is a disturbed-looking clown. “He is so out of pocket,” she said. “The plot is captivating, but I would not advise watching alone.”  

While “Suits” is not a fall show per se, it is a comforting one. Anyone who turns is sure to get instantly hooked. The show centers on the struggles of lawyers and one in particular who cuts a few corners. Viewers become enraptured with the cast, and the show goes on for what feels like eternity, so there’s no fear in its ending. A notable cast member, Megan Markle, gives people a glimpse of her life as an actor before becoming of royal status. Senior Zyan Williams is enthralled with the plot line. Williams wants to be a lawyer when he grows up, so his passion for the show and its plot is personal. “Micheal Ross is the greatest character ever,” he said. “He makes the show much more enticing, it makes me feel like I’m really there.”

The arrival of fall brings not only a vibrant change in scenery but also a rich tapestry of entertainment that captivates and delights. From the charming allure of “Gilmore Girls” to the compelling mysteries of “The Vampire Diaries,” these timeless shows continue to draw in viewers, offering an escape into worlds brimming with warmth, humor, and supernatural intrigue. As the season unfolds, the embrace of spooky movies like “Terrifier 2” adds an extra thrill, infusing the air with a sense of Halloween excitement and suspense. As students and viewers alike immerse themselves in these captivating narratives, Fall becomes a time not only for cozy sweaters and pumpkin spice but also for the shared joy of immersive storytelling that transcends the seasons.