Diving into the Deep: NAHS Shark Club

Claire Collins
Shark Week Every Week: As one of North Atlanta’s newest clubs, the Shark Club is quickly gaining popularity. Member Sadie Barber is excited about the club’s new endeavors.

In the sea of extracurricular activities offered at North Atlanta High School, the Shark and Marine Preservation Club has newly surfaced. The club invites students to submerge themselves in the captivating world of marine preservation and ocean awareness. It has grown to become a vibrant community where fins, friends, and clever conservation conversations converge to create an underwater utopia of enthusiasm and knowledge.

In a significant stride toward marine preservation and ocean awareness, sophomores Sarah Kate Gleason, Audrey Khayat, and Hannah Minter joined forces to launch the Shark and Marine Preservation Club with the goal in mind of raising awareness about sharks and promoting ocean conservation. Led by a team of dedicated students, the club is quickly gaining popularity and proving that there is more to these majestic creatures than the fearsome reputation they often carry. Sarah Kate Gleason, one of the club’s co-founders, shared the inspiration behind the club’s inception. “The motivation came from observing the lack of awareness surrounding the declining shark populations. We wanted to do something about it and make a positive impact on our environment.”

The club convenes on the first Thursday of every month, creating a space for students to immerse themselves in a variety of activities aimed at fostering their passion for marine life and ocean conservation. Discussions range from planning fundraising events to generating ideas on how to contribute to marine protection funds. Additionally, the club aims to organize trips to local aquariums and other educational locations to deepen members’ understanding of marine ecosystems. Justin Bond, a math teacher at North Atlanta High School, has taken on the role of teacher sponsor for the Marine Preservation and Shark Club. While the club is largely student-run, his support and guidance have been instrumental in facilitating the club’s activities and ensuring its continued success. “I merely provide a meeting space for the club, I don’t necessarily take an active role,” said Bond. 

The club has numerous goals for the new year. Besides expanding their outreach and recruiting new members to join the club, they want to increase awareness about the importance of protecting marine life and biodiversity, and especially protecting sharks. They also hope to take several club field trips and take action in their community. “Through education and advocacy, we aim to create a ripple effect of change, fostering a community committed to the conservation of our precious marine ecosystems,” said co-founder Hannah Minter. 

The shark club has become a hub for like-minded students who share a passion for marine life and a commitment to making a positive impact on the environment. As the club continues to grow, it’s clear that these students are not just learning about sharks; they are also becoming advocates for the oceans and stewards of a healthier planet.