Best of Bronzing: How to Maintain Summer Glow in Winter

Bradley Koontz
Brilliant Bronzer: Sophomore, Blair Carter, featured with her favorite tanner, Bondi Sands.

Having that bronze glow all year long is something that so many people want to achieve. But, when winter comes around, the minimal UV rays block that dream. Many NAHS students have found their way around this problem, and their answer is: self-tanning. Self-tanning may seem simple, but to get the best tan there are a variety of steps to follow and decisions to make. 

First off, one must choose their brand, type, and shade of tan. This decision can be one of the most daunting aspects of the fake tan world. The many brands, oils, mousses, lotions, and shades can be overwhelming to any person who is looking to buy a self-tan. Other factors such as ingredients, smell, sustainability, and price are all important things to think about too.  Many brands such as Bondi Sands, Jergens, and St. Tropez are taking NAHS students by storm. Bondi Sands is a mousse formula, offered in light, medium, and dark shades. For mousse tans, you usually need a tanning mitt or sometimes gloves to apply it. Jergens, on the other hand, is a lotion you can easily apply without a mitt or gloves. Jergens only comes in one shade, but it is an easy, accessible, and affordable option. St. Tropez offers just about everything spanning from formula, shade, and type. Other self-tan brands such as Isle of Paradise, COOLA, and Coco and Eve all have “natural formulas” that are usually safer for people with sensitive skin, or skin prone to breakouts. One student, Eve Heller, has been on a mission to find the best fake tan. She has tried many different brands in order to find what she likes best. “Right now I like to use the St. Tropez face lotion to tan my face,” she said. “I’ve tried so many for the rest of my body and right now I like Jergens because it lasts the longest, but I’m still searching for the perfect tan.”

For a successful fake tan, one would want to avoid splotches and streaks on their body. The best way to do this is to create a prep routine. Many people first start by shaving their legs and exfoliating, but instead of putting on lotion afterward, one should leave your legs dry to avoid oils that can mess up one’s tan. Then they put on their tan, usually using gloves or a tanning mitt to avoid staining their hands. Different brands require certain setting times, but many students prefer to sleep in it overnight and shower it off in the morning, waking up with a wonderful glow. Throughout the week after tanning, some students prefer to avoid shaving their legs or exfoliating to avoid messing up their tan. Others prefer to just take their chances. 

Sophomore Blair Carter is working to perfect her tanning routine. She starts by showering, then exfoliating, and then shaving. Her go-to fake tan is Bondi Sands. “After I apply my tan, I make sure to wear old and loose clothes to avoid messing up the tan and getting fake tan in my bed,” she said. “My tan usually lasts for about a week without streaking and splotches.” 

The perfect tan is hard to come by and entering the world of self-tanning is a fun but demanding experience. Everyone’s skin and body are different and trying new brands, formulas, and shades is the best way to find what works for you so you can have the best bronzing experience.