Feast Frenzy: The Battle Over Students’ Favorite Lunch Period

Claire Collins
Lunchtime Limbo: Students struggle to make the most out of their lunch periods.

At North Atlanta, there is close to a two-hour window between the earliest and latest lunches, with the earliest starting at 11:53 a.m. and the latest at 1:45 p.m. Lunch is divided into five periods, sectioned by floor. The tenth and eleventh floors eat first, while the gym and first floor are last, and the others have lunch periods in between. But what is the best time to have lunch?

Second Lunch: Second lunch tops the list for numerous reasons. First of all, it has the full 22 minutes without being cut short by transition times. Second lunch students from the fourth and fifth floors benefit from proximity to the lunchroom. Additionally, second lunch falls neither at the very beginning of class nor in the direct middle. Instead, you have 22 minutes of class before lunch and 66 minutes of class after lunch. This allows for an adjustment period without fully committing to class.  

Fourth Lunch: Fourth lunch also offers the full 22 minutes for students to enjoy their meal without feeling overly hurried. Students tackle the majority of their class work before lunch, with a shorter portion afterward and the advantage of a manageable walk from floors six or seven to the cafeteria. Nevertheless, hunger pangs may start to kick in mid-class.

Third Lunch: Just like its ranking, third lunch falls right in the middle of third period. This can present challenges during tests when teachers must decide whether to interrupt the exam for lunch or have students eat afterward. While some students appreciate the mid-class break, those with third lunch, located on the eighth or ninth floors, face a substantial journey down at least five flights of stairs to reach the cafeteria (or risk missing valuable lunchtime waiting for the elevator).

Fifth Lunch: Taking the second-to-last spot, fifth lunch involves going straight from lunch to fourth period, making their lunch feel slightly rushed. This late lunchtime leads to hunger pangs during class and an emptier lunch room. 

First Lunch: Ranking last, first lunch has significant drawbacks. The time is cut short as there is not any allotted time to transition, and students on the tenth and eleventh floors face a lengthy journey from the cafeteria to their classrooms post-lunch. First lunch offers a truncated period, leaving students with limited time to eat and socialize.