The Bamboozling Benson Boone

Benson Boone takes high schools by storm

Calendars and bookmarks adorned with brown curly hair and green eyes have decked the halls of North Atlanta. As it turns out, packages have been sent to high schools nationwide. Appearing in classrooms and staircases, Boone’s posters are in abundance for anyone who wants them. The phenomenon has been spread to social media platforms as well, including TikTok. A puzzling sight for students, and many were left with the question, “Who is Benson Boone?”

Boone greets hundreds of students a day, whether they are getting off of the elevator on the fifth floor or walking to their next period in the central staircase. His calendars hardly serve the usual time-keeping function, however, they entice students to do a deeper dive into his music. One example is Junior Ella Sipe, who said,” I was immediately taken aback by his mysterious look. I had to open Apple Music and see who he was for myself.” 

Other students, however, are a bit weary about Boone’s sudden appearance. One minute he was a semi-famous social media singer, and the next he was popping up in high school hallways. A perplexing new addition, these calendars stray off the traditional path of school decorations, which include club advertisements and small business promotions. “I think he looks like a pretty cool guy, but I wasn’t exactly sure why he was showing up in our hallways?” said Junior Marlon Sommersall. 

Now to get to the question: who even is Benson Boone? A pivotal point in the star’s career was when his hit GHOST TOWN took off. He is an American singer-songwriter who was born in Monroe, Washington. Boone was a contestant on American Idol but withdrew before the end. Boone said,” I didn’t want to show the world someone I’m not.”

Upon further investigation, the source of these promotional goods was not Benson Boone at all, but rather an organization called MOXIE. As their website states, MOXIE aims to bridge the gap between teenage music lovers and the music industry. They send informational items about specific artists and their songs, Benson Boone being one of them. By sending these items to journalism students, MOXIE hopes to allow young journalists the opportunity to curate music reviews and experience a form of journalism that may have been unavailable otherwise.

Benson Boone’s career is certainly off to a memorable start. With his hit songs taking social media by storm, this artist is sure to make a name for himself. North Atlanta was lucky enough to be chosen among countless other high schools in the nation to be a recipient of these promotional goods, and in some way, it feels like maybe the Dubs have a special place in Boone’s career.