Kaleigh Fleming: Taking Strides with Sneakers and Scholarships

Warrior Weekly Instagram
Seniors Anabel Schelke, Kaleigh Fleming, Sara Roman, and Daniel Esiyok bring home the gold with Sneakers and Scholarships Foundation Scholarship.

Earlier this month, Atlanta Public Schools held the first-ever Sneakers and Scholarships Ball to recognize prominent figures in the APS scene and award select students with $10,000 in scholarship money. The venue for the event was none other than the famed Mercedes Benz Stadium, completely fitting for the stature of this special event. North Atlanta seniors Sara Roman, Bem A. Joiner, Anabel Schelke, Daniel Esiyok, and Kaleigh Fleming brought home awards under the categories of Athletic Scholarship, Entrepreneur Award, Entrepreneur Scholarship, Public Servant Scholarship, and Social Justice Advocate Scholarship, respectively.

Kaleigh Fleming, recipient of the Social Justice Advocate Scholarship, first learned about this award from her 12th-grade counselor’s Google Classroom. The grade-wide counselor Google Classroom is a great place for students of any grade to discover opportunities for community service, scholarships, and any other important information related to assignments and other school requirements. “Ms. Boykin has posted many scholarships for us to apply to in our Google Classroom,” said Fleming. “I am so grateful that she gives us awareness about and access to these great opportunities!”

Fleming immediately knew she needed to seize this opportunity. She believes it is better to take the risk by applying for the scholarship than not to apply and waste any chance of possibly getting it. Out of the many categories of awards being given out, Kaleigh Fleming chose to apply to the Social Justice Advocate Scholarship specifically. Fleming cites her passion for her community as the reason behind this specific choice. “Advocating for social justice has been deeply important to me,” Fleming said. “It’s not just about a scholarship, but about making a difference in the lives of those who need it the most. This award validates the importance of standing up for what you believe in and fighting for equality and fairness in our society.”

On the night of the Sneakers and Scholarships Ball, Fleming, along with other award finalists from various APS schools, waited in suspense. The atmosphere in The Delta Sky 360 Club of the Mercedes Benz Stadium was humming with anticipation. Upon hearing her name being called, Fleming felt a wave of emotion rush over her. “When I found out that I had won, I felt overwhelmed and very grateful,” said Fleming. “I was actually shocked that I had won because they told us that we were finalists, so I was under the impression that I hadn’t actually won yet!”

The Sneakers and Scholarships Ball marked a significant milestone for Atlanta Public Schools, celebrating both academic excellence and extracurricular achievements. The dedication of individuals like Kaleigh Fleming serves as an inspiration to the entire APS community, demonstrating the power of passion, determination, and activism. By honoring students who are making a tangible impact beyond the classroom, the Sneakers and Scholarships Foundation champions the potential of every student to create a positive change in their environment.