Counting the Cost: The Impact of Increased Tuition on Georgia’s College-Bound

Taylor So
Bang (Not) For Your Buck: Students at North Atlanta count their dollars after finding out about the increased tuition for Georgia colleges.

As finals approach and the school year comes to a close, colleges in Georgia have something new in store for the 2024-25 academic year. The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG) has voted and approved that all Georgia colleges and universities will have an increased tuition for both in-state and out-of-state applicants. This has left parents and students shocked as they grapple with more obstacles and changes sweeping through Georgia’s academic landscape

Georgia isn’t alone in this uphill battle. Across the nation, the cost of college is increasing year by year. From California to New York, college affordability has become a pressing concern, with students and families bearing the brunt of escalating costs. As college admissions grow more competitive and more expensive, high schoolers feel as though the path toward their futures is slipping through their fingers. Juniors at North Atlanta feel the same as they prepare to complete their applications next year. “It feels like a constant uphill climb,” said junior Emma Maclean. “College is starting to feel so out of reach with new changes and obstacles facing us everywhere we turn.”

With the recent surge in tuition fees, it has introduced a host of challenges for prospective students in Georgia. Not only does this affect people coming from outside of the state, but it also impacts students applying from Georgia. The USG voted that in-state undergraduate tuition will increase by 2.5%, and out-of-state tuition will increase by 5%. This has played a role in parents’ and students’ decisions in the application process and how they are weighing their choices for the upcoming year. “A lot of students already face high tuition from out-of-state options,” said junior Evan Dickson. “For in-state schools to increase fees just makes it harder for us to have backup plans financially.”

However, students in Georgia have not lost all hope quite yet. Quite literally, the HOPE Scholarship remains available to all Georgia residents. This scholarship allows students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 and four full rigor classes to cover a large portion of their tuition. Additionally, the Zell-Miller Scholarship is another Georgia-specific scholarship that grants students with a GPA of 3.3 or higher and a 1200 SAT or 25 ACT to have full tuition covered in eligible Georgia colleges. These opportunities are what students hold onto in the midst of the rise in tuition. “I’m just grateful that we still have access to such great scholarships,” said sophomore Malina Marandi. “It’s frustrating to see costs increase but at least we still have HOPE and Zell-Miller.”

As students in North Atlanta and around Georgia prepare to embark on their collegiate journeys, the landscape of higher education in Georgia stands at a crossroads. The decision to increase tuition presents a challenge for students and families alike. Across the United States, concerns about college affordability and access continue to be magnified. Thankfully, scholarships are still supportive of students and their aspirations for their future, especially here in Georgia. College has always been a formidable journey, but there will always be hope.