Behind the Scenes: Jill Yoder Leaves a Lasting Mark on the Wire

Mary Dewberry
Leading the Troops: Fearless leader Jill Yoder transformed Wire throughout her year of guidance.

In the bustling corridors of North Atlanta, there’s a figure whose presence resonates not just through the pages of the Wire, but also in the hearts of our many students. As readers flip through consistently outstanding stories, there is one behind-the-scenes factor whose excellence fuels the entire operation. Meet Jill Yoder, the visionary behind our school newspaper and a beacon of leadership and creativity. With her passion for journalism and unwavering commitment to excellence, she has shaped our newspaper and laid the foundation for a new era of student media. 

Under Yoder’s guidance, the newspaper has flourished, inspiring the launch of a magazine that delves deeper into pressing issues and showcases the diverse talents of our students. The magazine, titled Windows, has quickly become a staple read for students, featuring in-depth articles, captivating visuals, and thought-provoking columns. This expansion reflects her encouraging nature that allows students to explore journalism beyond typical newspaper constraints. “I’ve really enjoyed seeing the magazine grow into what it is,” Yoder said. “I think we’re on our way to a whole new era of journalism at NAHS, and that makes me really excited.”

Through her tenure as editor, Yoder has honed invaluable leadership skills. From coordinating team meetings to fostering collaboration among writers and photographers, she has demonstrated a remarkable ability to inspire and empower others. This leadership extends beyond the newsroom, influencing positive change and innovation across various school activities. She has led by example, and her interactions with co-staffers have taught her integral management skills. “I think Wire has made me a lot more comfortable with being a leader,” she said. “It has been interesting to find a happy medium between being editor-in-chief and a classmate to other students.”

As Yoder prepares to embark on a new chapter at Wake Forest University, she carries with her a wealth of experience and a passion for creating meaningful impact. She plans to continue her journalistic endeavors, aiming to contribute to the university’s vibrant media landscape and further develop her leadership skills on a broader stage. After such a successful year in Wire, she feels prepared to use her well-rounded skills to expand Wake Forest’s editorial community. “I think Wire has really prepared me for even bigger challenges that I’ll face in college,” she said. “This community has been so special in fueling my love for journalism.”

As we bid farewell to Yoder and look forward to her future endeavors, we are grateful for her leadership and the lasting legacy she leaves behind. She is not just an editor, but a catalyst for positive change, and we can’t wait to see her continued success at Wake Forest University and beyond. Thank you, Jill!