Staying Clean and Green: NAHS Environmental Club Celebrates Earth Everyday

Leaving No Trace: NAHS environmental club works to clean up parks to honor Earth Day.

Every day is Earth Day for the NAHS Environmental Club. This group of exceptional dubs has worked hard throughout the year to make the Earth and North Atlanta a greener place. In an effort to open all student’s minds to conservation efforts, the group made sure to promote Earth Day in a big way.

The environmental club had celebrations for the day both inside and outside of the club. For internal celebrations, they made signs and had group discussions about helping nature. However, the main part of the day was when club members went around the school with trivia questions. The questions a student could be asked covered topics such as problems in the environment and what conservationist efforts are being taken around the world. If a student answered correctly, they would win a piece of candy. Julia Promoff, one of the leaders of the club, explained that these efforts around the school were extremely important so that students around North Atlanta could understand why protecting the Earth on and off of Earth Day is so important. “We do a lot of meaningful work, but all of that does not matter if everyone doesn’t help contribute to the efforts,” she said.

The environmental club is focused on promoting these sustainable efforts every day. This year has been one of the most successful years for the club to date. It has run many successful initiatives with highlights including a variety of park clean-ups and even efforts to promote campus-wide clean-ups. Freshman David Lopez explained that he hopes in his next four years the club will continue to grow. In upcoming school years, the club wants to see an implementation of a recycling system in the school and members have been working with representatives from the APS Board of Education to get this established. Lopez specifically mentioned how his ultimate goal is to restore parks in Atlanta and do a full clean-up instead of focusing on only a small part of the park. “It is just so nice to be outside and I love what we do to promote being outdoors and taking care of the Earth,” Lopez said.

For those who are particularly environmentally conscious, the Environmental Club is a perfect fit for you. However, even if you do not care as much for conservation efforts there is space for anyone in the club so long as you can enjoy and appreciate the great outdoors. The club is welcoming of anyone who wants to join and loves it when members bring new ideas to the table on how best to keep the Earth clean.