Warrior Softball Season Off to a Swinging Start

Sophomore+Pitcher+Tu-khoa+Burroughs+hurls+a+strike+across+the+plate+for+the+JV+team.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Sophomore Pitcher Tu-khoa Burroughs hurls a strike across the plate for the JV team.

The Warrior softball team is in the midst of its fall campaign and the results thus far have been mixed. The team began the season with several rough losses to powerhouse teams such as Kell, Cambridge, and Central Forsyth but hope to hold their own when they play them for a second time this season.

Despite the losses, head coach Lisa Oglesby said she sees reason for optimism. “I know the program is moving in the right direction,” she said.

She cited several factors that underscore the upward trend. The team saw a record-breaking amount of girls at tryouts, which were held in August. This year there’s more parental involvement. Also, an ongoing infusion of transfers to North Atlanta means there are new players who are hungry to take the team to the next level.

Taylor Lucas, a sophomore center fielder who plays on both the varsity and junior varsity teams, said this year’s squad is marked by more speed and athleticism. “We’re really setting the stage for a possible playoff run. Let’s see how things go as we get deeper in the season,” Lucas said.

Oglesby said the measure of success is not just assessed by a win-loss record. “The greatest moments, regardless of whether we win or lose, is when we play solid as a team with minimal errors and when individual players make amazing plays,” she said. “This year I’m very satisfied with the way the players have united as a team.”

The many new players on the roster brought a reenergizing excitement to the Lady Warrior’s team. “The freshman players especially are there to give 100 percent on and off the field, which is a good mentality to come into their first season of a high school sport with. ” said Junior captain Sara Beth Cimowsky.

With a hard working spirit among the players and a head coach determined for success, it’s safe to say that the North Atlanta softball team won’t go down without a fight.