You Can Sit With Us

Students+sit+together+inclusively+at+this+table+during+first+lunch.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Students sit together inclusively at this table during first lunch.

Walk into the cafeteria and you may feel like you’ve been transported to the past – to a time when students and faculty were segregated by skin color. Even though times have changed and equality is the standard, negative attitudes toward other students from different racial backgrounds are still prevalent. This segregation by choice forces us to pose the question: What year is it – 1950 or 2015?

Students have unknowingly divided themselves by race. Although unintentional, these divisions are a depiction of the society we live in. Sophomore London Paris has noticed the new era segregation that takes place in the cafeteria and other cafeterias across the nation. Paris believes skin color and ethnicity shouldn’t segregate students anymore. “I feel like all races should sit together at lunch. It’s not that big of a deal,” she said.

Sophomore Cassipea Stith agrees that there is segregation within the cafeteria. She says that there’s more to it than it seems. “It’s based on your interest,” she said. “The popular kids sit together. The anime kids sit together and then dance kids sit together. People are just going to go to what they know. They aren’t going to go outside of their boundaries of what they’re used to.”

The students mentioned here failed to take into account that segregation is not just an issue between African-American students and Caucasian students. The issue also affects students with Hispanic roots. In an effort to bridge the gap between students of all races, the school recently hosted “Mix It Up Day.” In an effort to get students acquainted with new acquaintances, students were placed at designated tables on the basis of birthdates. Most students said they judged the event a failure, however.

Even though the cafeteria is clearly divided, this system can be changed. It’s up to the students to stand up and make a change. So branch out, sit with some unfamiliar faces, and you may just find a new lifelong friend.