Hemal Patel Embodies Positive Change at North Atlanta

Math+teacher+Hemal+Patel+poses+in+front+of+the+intricate+work+he+displays+on+the+board+for+his+students.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Math teacher Hemal Patel poses in front of the intricate work he displays on the board for his students.

Whether you have him as a teacher or not, you most likely have seen this man trotting around the building with a friendly smile. He has a young appearance that could pass him for a student, but a quick conversation with him reveals his wisdom-filled nature with a hint of a comedic touch. Not to mention, his strong British accent that often sparks a few laughs and mocking jokes from his students.

His name is Hemal Patel and he can be found in room 6181 teaching one of his many passions, math. “Math is all that interested me in school. I like that everything is logical. It’s not biased on someone else’s interpretation,” he said.

But outside the classroom is where Patel’s life becomes interesting. He refuses to spend the extent of his weekends in a dark room grading papers and making lesson plans. Although this is a necessary task of every teacher, Patel enjoys making the best of the free time that he has. “On the weekends I can probably be found on my front porch watching cars go by. Or, in the kitchen,” said Patel. “I cook for my friends all the time.”

Although he loves finding peace in his free time, he admits that it’s hard to come by. On top of being a full-time teacher, he also has to balance the job of being a soccer coach to both the North Atlanta team and a local inter-Atlanta FC Academy team. This could easily become overwhelming, especially if you are as invested in his jobs as Patel is. “You want to get the best out of your students and players so you have to immerse yourself in that life,” he said.

Despite his incredibly busy schedule – bouncing to and from faculty meetings, soccer practices, and of course his daily recipe searching – Patel’s bright energy and lively attitude remains strong. Whether he is in the classroom or on the field, Hemal Patel embodies his favorite quote: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” By Gandhi.