Donald Trump for President? North Atlanta Weighs In

A lot of controversy has surrounded the 2016 presidential election. With candidates such as Hillary Clinton, Marco Rubio, Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump debating about controversial topics, this election was bound to get interesting. Candidates have participated in several debates and rallies trying to garner support of their candidacy. One of the main Republican candidates is Trump. As would be expected of a candidate as controversial as this blustery business leader and one-time reality TV star, there are widely varying opinions about “The Donald” among North Atlanta High School students.

“He is a chauvinistic businessman who has no business running a country,” said sophomore Courtney Sanford.

Trump has never been in politics. In fact, this election is his first. Although he’s made plenty of offensive comments, Trump has managed to use these comments to his advantage.

“They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists,” Trump said during his campaign announcement in reference to the Mexicans who have immigrated to America.

But comments like these surprisingly haven’t had a negative impact on his campaign. Recent polls show Trump as the front-runner for the Republican candidacy. Many of his supporters respect him for speaking his mind. Some even view him as a role model. “I feel like the media is his ‘puppet’ and he is the ‘puppet master.’ Whether you love him or hate him, all the attention he’s getting is only giving his campaign fuel,” said sophomore Nicolas Delporte.

As the election draws closer and closer, people are left to wonder what would happen if Trump is elected president.

But will skies really fall if Trump makes it to the White House? Senior Ayeola Whitworth said she thinks there are pros and cons connected to the controversial politician’s campaign. “My opinion is that he would be an awful representation of America because of his bigoted remarks about immigration,” she said.

Whitworth said she did appreciate that the brash New Yorker is a fresh-faced politician. “He’s not part of the establishment. His running for president shows that politics is moving in the right direction,” said Whitworth.

While students have varying opinions on the course of the presidential election, it is in the hands of the voters. Because every vote counts, all of voting age are encouraged to vote and do so wisely. Otherwise you are just left to speculate what will happen if Trump ‘makes America great again’?