Frat Fashion Breaks Out at North Atlanta

Juniors+Thomas+Shoup+and+Patrick+Wilson+%28left+to+right%29+embody+the+term+frat+in+their+clothes%2C+interests%2C+and+attitudes.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Juniors Thomas Shoup and Patrick Wilson (left to right) embody the term “frat” in their clothes, interests, and attitudes.

Patagonia or H&M? Where do you find yourself lost most often? When you flip through your deluxe triple railed closet, are you thinking you’re yeezy or getting ready to “party hardy” with the bros? With just a peek into the North Atlanta hallways you can tell that we have a plethora of stylistic diversity. While some students rock skinny jeans and vans, others take a more Sperry and Polo approach to life. Where the latter is concerned, what exactly is “frat fashion”?

“I don’t really take much notice to kids who dress ‘frat’ because it’s so normal to see students dress that way now,” said sophomore Kaylyn Cobbins.

The Frat style, born from the customs of Greek Letter Organizations (GLO), has always been present in high school fashion-culture. There isn’t one day you’ll walk into North Atlanta and just see one student dressed “frat.” This student is usually surrounded by friends who dress the same way. In other words, where there’s one frat, there’s plenty to follow.

What typifies frat fashion? Let’s start with the shoes. Those sporting the fratty uniform are donning Sperry topsiders, New Balance tennis shoes, cowboy boots or maybe even L.L. Bean duck boots. For pants, think along the lines of khaki pants from Ralph Lauren or Nautica. For shirts, we see the frat-tastic types donning t-shirts from the following companies: Patagonia, Southern Tide, Over Under, Southern Marsh, Vineyard Vines and t-shirts from the Salty Dog restaurant in Hilton Head. Baseball hats would be from Yeti, golf brands and, of course, University of Georgia gear. Why dress the frat way? “It’s comfortable and it helps you to stand out and look noticeable,” said junior Patrick Wilson.

Others cite more of a follow-the-crowd reason. “It’s what the dudes in college are wearing and that naturally has become cool among the high school set,” said junior Thomas Shoup.

Following in the footsteps of their older siblings the Frat scene around North Atlanta continues to grow. For all you future Sig Eps and Kappa Sigs, the future is now! You, too, can dress the “fratastic way.”