End Locker Neglect Today!

Summer Epps

Take advantage of your lonely lockers!

All across North Atlanta lie thousands of sad, neglected lockers. They line the halls of almost every floor of our building, unopened and unloved. Day after day they wait for us to use them, but some are never opened. Do you use your locker?

Many students haven’t opened their lockers this year. You could ask them where their locker was or their combination and they would have no idea. “Wait, we have lockers?” said freshman Ben Sumlin. Personally, I put the textbooks I’m not currently using in my locker but nothing else.

The majority of students either leave their materials they aren’t currently using at home or lug them around in their backpacks all day. We have lockers for a reason. Students should be using them to at least store books they don’t need instead of adding to the already crippling weight of their backpacks, but still many students insist on not using them. “Lockers are extremely inconvenient and out of the way. I’m glad we have the option to use backpacks this year,” said freshman Nicole Spektor.

For most students here at North Atlanta, lockers have become more of a hangout spot than a storage unit. They’re an easy place to gather and talk in our short transition periods because they are so conveniently placed between our classes. Saying, “Hey, meet me by my locker,” is an easy way for students meet up to talk with their friends and blow off some steam before their next class. Visiting them can even turn into a daily ritual for some groups of students.

Students of North Atlanta: All I ask of you is that you remember the lockers! They are there for you, so take advantage of them. They yearn to have meaning! Store your personal belongings in them. Use them as a place to talk, or both. Take advantage of these lockers to lighten your load. Don’t break your back. Give your back a break. Locker neglect must end.