CAS Hours: What You Need to Know

Senor+Williams+is+the+advisor+for+CAS+hours+for+IB+juniors+and+seniors.+

Chandler Smith

Senor Williams is the advisor for CAS hours for IB juniors and seniors.

Creativity, action and service. Ask an International Baccalaureate student what this is, and chances are they’ll probably shrug, followed with “I still haven’t started!”

Since the IB Diploma program was founded, it has required each IB junior and senior to complete 150 creativity, action and service hours. Additionally, it requires each student to have a CAS project, of which at least one element of CAS must be completed with at least one other IB student.

Creativity includes arts and other experiences that involve creative thinking, such as the Junior State of America chapter at North Atlanta or yearbook.

Spanish teacher Thomas Williams is one of two CAS advisors for this year. He advises that CAS hours should be completed by the second semester of senior year, and a significant amount of hours can be completed in school. “If a student takes, for example, an art, music, chorus or PE class, those can be applied toward creativity or action,” he said. “Students will not be able to gain hours from IB classes.”

Action includes activities that promote a physically healthy and beneficial lifestyle, like participating in a sport or simply recreational sports class.

Junior Olivia Meredith is starting a bowling club for her action hours. She plans to knock two pins with one bowling ball by having this as her CAS project. “It’s different and hasn’t really been done before, it’ll be fun,” she said.

Service activities include volunteering and peer tutoring. However, the IB program is not so fond of animal-testing or practicing religion for these hours. “Should students choose to get involved with a church, it’s important that they realize that practicing religion won’t count,” he said. “Working at the church’s food pantry or soup kitchen would be acceptable.”

Williams says that most service hours are completed after-school; and junior Joy Stanton-Hirst plans to do exactly that. “For service, I’m more geared towards helping out animals. The Atlanta Humane Society is perfect for me.”

CAS hours have been seen as very beneficial towards the IB student’s two-year academic career. “In the beginning, it’s a little bit of a hassle,” said junior Taylor Pugh. “But I can see that it really open your eyes to the world holistically.”

For the last couple of years, Atlanta Public Schools has been utilizing the ManageBac website for IB students to utilize. The website allows students to enter CAS hours, submit the extended essay, and other IB-related documents.

Where CAS hours are concerned, the biggest thing is not so much what you’re doing – but that you do it. So get started!