The Road Not Taken…for Scholarships

As many students are painfully aware, being accepted into college is no easy feat. It requires constant stellar grades in every class, backbreaking community service, and much sheer determination. There are many boxes to tick, and some go above and beyond to showcase their dedication. However, being accepted as one of the best and brightest is only part of the challenge. A simple and often overlooked fact in students’ competitive race to the top is that college is mightily expensive.

If you have a full ride, then you’re one of the lucky ones. Sadly, some cannot afford college at all. Others can pay off bits and pieces but are still left owing a staggering amount. Worse still, as a result of student loans, college seniors graduate wading in debt when they should be beginning a new, unburdened life. It’s a simple reality of our world: economic status limits the opportunities of countless dreamers.

This is understood by those who set up scholarships dedicated to helping future collegiate students. Luckily, everything has a scholarship, or so it seems. Do you know a bunch of useless facts? If yes, then congratulations, the Common Knowledge Scholarship Foundation will give you up to $2,500 if you win their quiz. If you wear duct tape to prom, you’ve earned a few extra bucks as well – not that it’s recommended. Even the American Fire Sprinkler Association offers grants, and their jackpot is enormous at $20,000. These are just the strange ones. More mainstream offerings include those given for athletic and academic skill.

Even more novel is a new site started to give students micro-scholarships, or small scholarships offered by schools for small accomplishments. Raise.me awards you for many seemingly less impressive things: attending a college fair, earning a B, and more. Many small universities have partnered with the company, and once you enter your grades, even for a single semester, many small grants come rolling in. If you decide to attend the offering school, then there are scholarships lined up. The Vice President of Raise.me, Aneesh Rahman, is a former CNN International Correspondent, and even worked to write some of President Barack Obama’s speeches – showing that some very noteworthy and generous people are behind it.

A little goes a long way in terms of scholarships. If the usual does not work, try one of the more interesting ways. Someone is always looking to help, whether you are financially stretched or not.