North Atlanta Takes First Place at Art Throwdown

Kimberly Landers

North Atlanta scored the overall victory at the fourth annual Art Throwdown on Oct. 1. Art students are shown here with art teacher Natalie Brandhorst (front center).

Competition, focus and intense work filled Atlanta’s Botanical Gardens as more than 20 North Atlanta art students took part in the fourth annual Art Throwdown held on Saturday, Oct. 1. At the event, North Atlanta took on seven schools – including rivals Grady and Riverwood – and the participating Warriors earned first-place honors.

First born in 2012, the Art Throwdown brings together artistically minded high school artists and to afford them a hands-on experience geared toward the artistic expression and learning. This year’s participants competed in Chihuly sculpture, botanical illustration, digital photography, Sumi-e ink and wash painting, American Haiku and Vine video production. For North Atlanta, this year’s top placing marked a first-ever event win.

Senior Erin Jimison, placed first in botanical illustration while junior Lauren Grubbs and sophomore Maddie Peckham took first place in digital photography.

Senior Tessa Richardson competed in the Chihuly sculpture area. “The event is always fun and exciting because the challenges are timed. It really makes you produce the best work you can,” she said.

North Atlanta placed in the top five in all categories, and took first in botanical illustration and digital photography, a category that junior Courtney Nation competed in. “I’ve always loved art and I think of myself as a good photographer. At first, our competition seemed hard due to the time restraint but as we went along, it got easier for us,” she said.

Art teachers Natalie Brandhorst and Kimberly Landers accompanied the students who attended the event. Brandhorst said the North Atlanta victory represents yet another significant milestone for the program. “I could not be prouder of this group who not only showed creative prowess, but also who exhibited a great sense of camaraderie and sportsmanship,” she said.

Artistic expression, you have a home – and that home is North Atlanta High School.