From South America to North Atlanta

Many students at North Atlanta are familiar with the foreign exchange students that frequent the hallowed halls of our school. They are given the amazing opportunity to expand their knowledge to other countries in a school setting. Sophomore Lucas De Mello Santiago is one of the students that have joined the North Atlanta family.

Santiago is from Belo Horizonte, Brazil, and has been in Atlanta for six months. He lives with the family of sophomore Vivian Ready.

In Brazil, Santiago attended a private school with 600 students so North Atlanta with 1,800 students has been a big change. “And with 11 stories this building seems so huge,” he said.

He opted for studies in Atlanta because his grandfather has family here and these ties made it easier to acclimate to a new educational setting in a new country. He’s currently in the South but he’s always envisioned life on the country’s West Coast. “My dream is to go to Los Angeles, or anywhere in California,” said Santiago.

While most exchange students only stay for a semester, Santiago is spending the entire 2016-17 academic year here. And if his parents let him, he intends to finish his high school years as a North Atlanta Warrior. It’s obvious he has made many friends here that want him to stay. “That’s my guy!” said senior Christian Penn, speaking of her new friend from Belo Horizonte.

For college, Santiago wants to attend the University of Southern California to study business and economics.

Santiago has moved from the land of Samba and fanatic soccer fans to make his own rightful place among the Warriors. So to him we say: “Bem vinda!”