Results of Wacky Oscars Divide North Atlanta

The Oscars are one of the highlights of the year for filmgoers everywhere; a night where the best and brightest of the film industry are put front and center. This year’s Academy Awards certainly one for the history books, for better or for worse. But, what do the residents of North Atlanta say about this momentous award show?

Not much apparently, as it seems that the majority of North Atlanta students passed on watching the awards. Among these ranks is sophomore Hannah Shaw. “I didn’t really watch the Oscars, I just don’t really care,” she said.

French teacher Mr. Oliver is another individual who abstained from the show. “The Oscars are in decline. They could improve their viewership if they would modernize a bit,” he said.

Those who did see the Oscars seemed to be very opinionated, however. Sophomore Adam Cheese had a very negative opinion of the whole affair. “It was much too political and kind of dull overall,” he said.

Drama teacher Mr. Hooper shared similar distaste. There’s an ongoing sentiment – and Hooper said he shared it – that the Academy Awards aren’t inclusive enough and don’t showcase minority talent. “I wasn’t a big fan and it still has a long way to get to true equality,” he said.

Though many people have seen at least one of the films on the long list of best picture nominees, few have seen all of them. This isn’t the case for junior film aficionado Jack Butler, who went out of his way to see all the movies that were nominated, giving him a well-rounded opinion of the Oscars. He specifically seemed to take issue with the best picture win. “I would have preferred if “La La Land” had won. It was more original, and had themes that were relatable to me personally,” he said.

He also expressed annoyance that one of his favorite films didn’t win anything.

“‘Arrival’ really should have won at least one award. It was a really stellar movie,” he said.

One of the most talked about points of the Oscars was the massive mistake made for the best picture award. Presenter Faye Dunaway announced that “La La Land” won, but then after the movie’s cast and crew went on stage to celebrate, it was revealed that “Moonlight” was the real winner, causing quite the fiasco. Sophomore Jerry Calhoun was among those who watched aghast at the entertaining mishap. “It was the biggest mistake during the biggest event of all. It’s the new Steve Harvey.”

Whatever people thought of this year’s crazy event, it can all be summed up with a thoughtful quote from Human Geography teacher Ms. Eleanor Brookins. “Oscars Schmoscars.”