Long-Term Educator Harris Announces his Retirement

Retiring+teacher%2C+Mr.+Wilson+Harris.+

Sara Beth Cimwosky

Retiring teacher, Mr. Wilson Harris.

Wilson Harris, an educator who’s been teaching for 30 years, is retiring at the end of this school year. The popular teacher teaches AP World History and is this year’s North Atlanta “Teacher of the Year.”

After leaving North Atlanta, the veteran social studies teacher said he might do some substitute teaching work at a private school or some other manner of a part-time job. “I thought I might be a Walmart greeter,” joked Harris. “I’m kidding, of course, but I’m looking for a job that pays well that requires very little time or commitment and has no risk or responsibility. Those jobs are pretty easy to come by, I understand.”

Having been a social studies teacher at North Atlanta since 2003 is not usually considered the most stress-free or easiest job in human existence, but to Harris, it has meant the world to him. “I know that I’m going to miss it, big time,” said Harris. “I love being in a classroom with kids, or young people by now. And I have great colleagues too. They’re awesome.”

To his students, traveling throughout history with him has been a blast, from observing the first peaks of the Mesopotamian civilization rising up from the ground to watching the rapid expansion of Mongol territory to analyzing the beginning of World War I.

When asked for a piece of advice to give to his students, he replied with “Just be true to yourself, I know that sounds trite and it’s not always easy, but in the long run, that’s the only way it’s going to work. And be nice to people. I know, it’s a radical thought.”

Many of his AP World History students recall his past hilarious – and secretly educational – antics fondly as well as what they will miss about them. “I’m going to remember how funny Mr. Harris is and how he loves to make jokes throughout the class period to keep it lively,” said sophomore Ryann Douglass.

“I just think he’s really awesome,” said sophomore Sarah Pearl in her assessment of her teacher’s abilities.

Although the next new batch of freshmen won’t be able to experience his class, the older students will definitely remember him for a very long time.