North Atlanta Ties for Most Georgia Scholars Among All State High Schools

Zachery+Flash+and+Avery+Thomas+are+among+North+Atlanta%E2%80%99s+six+Georgia+Scholars+2017.+

Sara Beth Cimowsky

Zachery Flash and Avery Thomas are among North Atlanta’s six Georgia Scholars 2017.

To be a Georgia Scholar is to be among the top members of the Class of 2017 in the state. Few high schools have even one. North Atlanta has six. This feat is astonishing since there were only 183 scholars out of nearly 1,000 high schools across the state.

North Atlanta Georgia Scholars are Avery Thomas, Caroline Cook, Summer Epps, Zachery Flash, Emma Grice and Sterling Spiegl. They earned the prestigious award for their outstanding work in and outside of school. Georgia Scholars are students who have carried heavy course loads during the four years of high school. They have performed at high academic levels in all their courses and have participated in inter-scholastic events at their schools and in their communities. Beyond all this they have assumed active roles in school-sponsored extracurricular activities.

With six award recipients, North Atlanta is tied three other Georgia high schools for having the most Georgia Scholars and it led all Atlanta Public Schools high schools in the category.

Beyond exhibiting leadership traits, each Georgia Scholar had to meet graduation requirements and earn at least a 1360 on the SAT or a 31 on the ACT. “It says so much about our school to have this number of scholars,” said Dionne Williams, senior-level counselor. “And it says so much about these young people who have left such a lasting mark here. They are among our best.”

With packed and challenging schedules and exemplary commitments to academics, these students have defined the expression “work ethic.” “I am honored to be one of many Georgia scholars. We’ve all worked so hard and it’s meaningful to look up at the end of our high school journeys and to realize we’re part of such a select group,” said Thomas

After all their work and sacrifices, a prestigious mark on their diplomas really “seals the deal” – they are North Atlanta’s Georgia Scholars.