SGA Scores Major Assist To Make Homecoming a Success

Anna Day

Seniors Jack Henderson and Chandler Smith were part of a platoon of SGA officers who gave the school cafeteria an explosion of colorful homecoming week-related banners.

North Atlanta is often celebrated for its massive and diverse student population, and once every year, the whole school joins together for a week of fun events and school spirit. This fast-approach week is the always action-packed, fun-filled Homecoming Week.

There’s a lot of work that goes into the week and it should be known that all of the fun-themed days and decorations — the things that are the week’s hallmarks — are not just thrown together. The week’s success is the result of many hours of hard work put in by the Student Government Association (SGA).  

This year’s homecoming theme is Mardi Gras, and the cafeteria is fittingly decked out with purple, green and gold beads as well as huge banners. In addition, even more decorations will soon appear in the hallways. One of the main focuses of SGA is to make sure the entire school is involved. “Advertising will be all over the school, so everyone will know about it,” said junior Callie Perciful.

Theme days for the week are “Sleepless Night” Pajama Day and Throwback Thursday. These events will be capped off with the “Big Night in the Big Easy,” the homecoming dance which will be held on Saturday, Sept. 23, in the school gym. “Homecoming is definitely going over the top even more than past years,” said sophomore Emily D’acchardi.

Senior and SGA body president Chandler Smith explained that so many more people have joined the organization this year. Although this makes it more difficult to organize all of the different committees, Smith said that the extra help will definitely make homecoming week even more spectacular.

From the creative themed days to the extravagant dance, homecoming would not be possible without the hard work and dedication from SGA. By deciding everything from the theme to the gritty details, the group brings life to this long-standing tradition. “I feel very excited about homecoming. It’s going to be unprecedented and I expect that students will be really surprised with what we came up with,” Smith said.