Thinking with Excellence to Inform and Enlighten

Filed under A&E, Showcase

North Atlanta Artists Making Their Own Sounds

Juniors Graham Humphreys and Gamble Cleary are part of the North Atlanta sound, a group of artists making their own sounds.

Anna Day

Anna Day

Jay-Z, Kanye West, Taylor Swift, DJ Khaled and Ed Sheeran. They’re the top artists of our time but know this: no one begins big. All artists need a place to start. And that holds true for emerging artists who are North Atlanta students. Some in our ranks are already making singles, sharing them on the Internet and getting feedback from peers.

Junior Graham Humphreys is a hip hop artist that has produced more than 20 songs on his Soundcloud: grahamhumphreys_2.  “I started making songs because as a kid I always loved music, singing, and rapping, and that’s really where it started,” he said.

For all students, family influences drive personal musical preferences. For Gamble Cleary these connections have proven no less true. The talented junior goes by the name unclebendr on soundcloud. He’s caught the attention of North Atlanta students for his hip hop and alternative genres. He plans on playing in upcoming North Star Talent show on Sept. 30. “Growing up, music was a big part of my life and my grandpa was a musician for a long time,” he said. “That was also motivation for me to get my career started.”

Everybody has an idol they look up to, whether it’s a basketball player that wants to be like Michael Jordan or a politician that aspires to be like Barack Obama. Cleary is no different. He said he centers his work around those of his musical heroes, acts and artists like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Anderson Paack and Tyler the Creator. “It’s cool because I love the sound they make but also their personalities as well,” Cleary said.

Humphreys said he draws inspiration from the music of rapper Post Malone. “He has some guitar and other instruments in his songs along with a strong hip-hop and rap style,” he said.

Making music is its own reward. And along with that reward comes a strong sense of community felt with fellow artists. “The community is the best part of music. When you meet someone else that works in the industry, it’s an instant connection that I love,” Cleary said.

Humphreys shares Cleary’s sentiment. “The end product is my favorite part. When you put in all that work and have something to show for it, it’s just fantastic,” he said.

Ed Sheeran. Jay-Z. All masters started off as beginners. Juniors Graham Humphreys and Gamble Cleary are making their respective starts at North Atlanta, creating melodies and beats for their fans to enjoy. Crafting enduring careers in the competitive music industry will be their greatest productions.