Filed under News, Showcase

Senior Italian Student Says “Bravo” About Studying at North Atlanta

Senior Alessandro Panizza is making the most of his year away from home as an exchange student at North Atlanta.

Laila Nicholson

Alessandro Panizza, a new student in his senior year at North Atlanta, is a one-year exchange student from Italy.   

His high school back home is the Belfiore Scientific School in Mantova, a historic city in the northern province of Lombardia. Since his college-preparatory school is a five-year program, next year he’ll return for his final year there.

He currently lives in Buckhead with a host family and he said he’s enjoyed their hospitality and also getting to know his new “American little brother,” the couple’s six-year-old son. The decision to become an exchange student was something he took on for personal development. “I wanted to try something new and to push myself and this seemed like a good way to do it,” he said.  

Panizza said the contrasts between the two countries are distinct and that the high-school experience is quite different, as well. “This school is so big and there are so many people. It’s even hard to make it through everyone to get to class,” he said.

He’s been studying English since the seventh grade and Panizza said he built up a degree of proficiency in the language back home. “But here, my English has really improved. I’ve noticed I’m getting stronger,” he said.

In his opinion, the crowded atmosphere of North Atlanta isn’t a bad thing because it’s easier to make new friends. Another part of the school he loves is the expansive building, especially the gym, mostly because of his love for the sport of basketball. “In Italy we don’t get to play basketball much but here I get to play it in the gym at school all the time,” he said.

Another thing he said he enjoyed is the ability to choose his own schedule, which can’t be done in his school back home since it has such a specific scientific framework. “We can choose our classes here instead of having to follow certain pre-determined courses,” he said.

Beyond the freedoms and the basketball-playing opportunities, Panizza said he has enjoyed his new school’s teachers. “They are more empathetic than my teachers back home,” he said.

Panizza is enjoying life in the U.S. as a whole, but his home country still has a big spot in his heart. And in terms of the things he misses, they all start with the letter “f”: family, friends and food. “I’m sorry but there is definitely no comparison the food here to the food in Italy,” he said.

Leaving his home for a year as an exchange student has been a huge change, but he said he’s been glad to have the opportunity to be at North Atlanta. “Everything has been interesting and and new. And that’s really what all adventures should be like,” he said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Senior Italian Student Says “Bravo” About Studying at North Atlanta”

1. Ruth Blackstock on October 24th, 2017 4:05 pm

If you want to know more about going abroad as an exchange student, or hosting a student yourself, go to http://www.afsusa.org, and fill in a request for more information.

[Reply]

*

• Senior Italian Student Says “Bravo” About Studying at North Atlanta

Graduation Marks End of High School Journey for Class of 2018

Class of 2018 Celebrates Next Destinations During “Decision Day” Event

Richard Hill and Ben Israel Lead Class of 2018 as Valedictorian and Salutatorian

New Hall Pass Method Being Implemented on the North Atlanta App

North Atlanta “High Q” Team Takes Top Prize

The Class of 2018 Racks up Scholarships and Acceptances

Stephen Lawrence Named 2018-2019 Teacher of the Year

CNN 10 Anchor Carl Azuz Inspires Journalism Students

North Atlanta Theater Students Perform at APD’s Women’s History Month Event

Ms. Valenzuela, A ‘Perfecta’ Teacher