Nicolas Delporte Exercises Leadership Skills as FBLA President

Hasina Chimeka-Tisdale

FBLA President Nicolas Delporte recently won FBLA’s prestigious America Award, the only student district-wide to do so.

Future Business Leaders of America, FBLA, has been changing students’ lives since 1940 and it has had a profound effect on senior Nicolas Delporte. Delporte, president of the organization at North Atlanta, has taken advantage of all of the opportunities FBLA has had to offer. By taking initiative in this club, he has been able to broaden his horizons for college, expand his career opportunities, and give back to the community.

One of Delporte’s greatest achievements has been earning the most distinguished award FBLA has to offer, the America Award. In order to even qualify for this accolade, he had to earn three preliminary awards. Once he obtained those, he had to complete a series of tasks that proved his dedication to serving the community, mastery of business skills, as well as his commitment to FBLA. This achievement is so difficult to accomplish that Delporte is the only student within Atlanta Public Schools to hold this honor.  “Commitment is extremely important to get everything you strive for,” he said.

Even though Delporte enjoys many of the FBLA events, his favorite is the Fall Leadership Conference. Always thinking of his future, Delporte favors this annual meeting because of the networking opportunities it offers.

As president, he is always doing something for FBLA. His duties range from facilitating chapter meetings to coming up with innovative ways to increase membership.

His considerable involvement in FBLA has not gone unnoticed. CTAE instructor Lorraine Bowen, one of the FBLA advisers, has been quite impressed with Delporte’s contributions. “He has a great work ethic and is always coming up with ideas that will take us to the next level,” she said.

Although Delporte has a demanding role in FBLA, he handles it with ease. The leadership skills he has gained and the networking opportunities that have become accessible have proven to be worth it. Delporte’s only regret? Not joining sooner.