Filed under News, Showcase

Drama Club Members Bring the Stage to Life

Staging+Success%3A+North+Atlanta+Drama+Club+members+show+their+love+for+theater+in+and+around+the+school.+Shown+here+are+club+members+junior+Kaheya+Nash%2C+junior+Emmett+Galloway+and+senior+Aldreijana+Meister.+
Staging Success: North Atlanta Drama Club members show their love for theater in and around the school. Shown here are club members junior Kaheya Nash, junior Emmett Galloway and senior Aldreijana Meister.

Amari Atterberry

Amari Atterberry

Drama is everywhere. It taints the air with teen angst, romance, and stress. While some would say that they would rather avoid any unnecessary “Mean Girl” style drama in their lives, others embrace such controversies with open arms. We can agree that there’s good drama and bad drama. And in the latter category comes those who prefer drama of the theatrical kind. With the spotlight on them, these individuals thrive as they assume an array of characters and transform an empty stage into a garden or a busy city. Welcome to the North Atlanta Drama Club.

“I know a lot of people take acting seriously, and some of them want to do it outside of school so this is the place to come and take it seriously and it’s fun,” said senior Aldreijana Meister. “You can get to be goofy with an excuse.”

The club was created around 15 years ago by longtime theater instructor Linda Stevenson. And today is still serves to give a creative outlet for students who can’t take theater as an elective or for those who simply want some extra acting experience. Whether it’s playing improv games like Taxi or scene building, its members are sure to not run out of things to do any time soon. There are many of those who would like to take a drama class or enjoy the subject in some way, but have no opportunity to fit it in their schedule. The club is that window to the things regular drama students do in class everyday, and some extra fun practice for those who want to take their talents a step further.

“We do things that develop the actor to become better,” said Carlos Hooper, the Theater Arts teacher. “”And then use the tools that actors use on the stage.”

The group meets in the Drama class on Thursdays from 4 to 5 and is currently encouraging more members. Whether its for fun or for fame, the stage is calling. Life is full of drama, so why not join the school club that really support it?