Filed under A&E, Showcase

Slam Poetry Club: Opening Minds, One Word at A Time

Waxing Poetic: A new North Atlanta Slam Poetry Club brings spoken word expression to the school’s 11 stories. Members meet Mondays after school in Room 5115.

Jack Stenger

Jack Stenger

For centuries, intellectuals everywhere have used poetry as a means of personal and cultural expression. This impactful form of literature represents one’s thoughts about the world and about the political structures that aid or inhibit us. The new North Atlanta Slam Poetry Club is now offering school-based poets a strong gathering place for those interested in tapping into the genre’s power.

The club is led by sophomore Sydney Jones and is comprised of a band of misfit poets and aspiring writers. As would be expected with a gathering of such high-minded thinkers, teen angst runs wild whenever this group gathers. But so, too, does the creative muse.  

Jones, an avid writer and poet, thought it necessary to create a club for like-minded individuals. “I could not be happier that I made this club,” she said. “Every Monday I hear amazing poems from my members.”

Jones says there is a lot in store for the club, ranging from open-mic nights, where anyone can share their writing and poems, to possible school-wide presentations down the road. “We are going to host some amazing events to share wonderful experiences with anyone who wants to join,” she said.  

Freshman Jude Smith joined the club to express the joy he finds in sharing his thoughts on both world events and politics. “I enjoy hearing other people’s art and writing my own,” he said. “But we also have a whole boatload of fun when we get together. So that’s always good.”  

On Tuesday, Dec. 12, the Slam Poetry Club is holding “North Voice” in the Black Box theater in the Hillside Building. The event will be a chance for all students to express themselves through comedy, spoken-word, music and more.

Slam Poetry Club meetings are Mondays after school in room 5115, the room of literature teacher Akisha Ray. All those inclined are invited to join students of all races, sexualities and hair colors. And when you get there, if the poetic spirit moves you, just relax — and go with it.