Filed under News, Showcase

Gates and Robinson Ready to Strike Bluesy Note in Memphis

Jazzy Juniors: Fresh off musical victories here in Atlanta, Chris Robinson and Devon Gates are soon to compete in a blues musical festival in Memphis. Olivia Chewning.

Olivia Chewning

Olivia Chewning

North Atlanta juniors Devon Gates and Chris Robinson are ready to strike a chord at the 34th International Blues Challenge in Memphis, Tennessee. Previously winning the Atlanta Blues Challenge two times, they are ready to play in the International showcase event in January.

The International Blues Challenge is a five day challenge designed to attract blues lovers from around the world to compete and is judged by professional musicians. This challenge is no walk in the park as the Blues Foundation has an established set of unbiased criteria by which all acts are judged through. In order to advance to the International Challenge, the groups must have previously won an event. All who compete in this challenge must be serious, as the winner of the competition will be contacted for many performances and will be expected to accept.

Gates and Robinson are both a part of the Atlanta Blues Society and previously competed as finalists for the Atlanta Blues Challenge in August and won. Although they won the Atlanta Blues Challenge they will not be competing in the International Blues Competition but rather participating in the youth showcase with their band “No Solution” which will consist of a 30-minute set.

Both having an interest in music at an early age they decided to form their musical group at Sutton Middle School which also consists of fellow high schooler bandmates Max Bittner and Micah MacLane. “We have been playing for over four years together and have a really great bond,” said Gates.

While the youth showcase may be exciting, the Warrior duo also participate in different activities with their bandmates after hours. The quartet often ventures out to various clubs and gigs to play spontaneous music together. “After our showcase we usually go to Beale Street and play in the various venues with many other talented teens. We get to meet musicians our age and play what we call ‘jams’ with them,” said Robinson.

While the Warriors are consistently known for their perseverance, these students show that despite being a Warrior, they march with the drum beat of their hearts and fight with their musical skills.