Behind the Cameras: The Making of “11 Stories”

Segment Under Construction: Seniors Will Sitton and Will Butler work on their soon-to-be-aire segment for “11 Stories.”

“11 Stories,” our very own school news show, has been a school-wide staple at North Atlanta for many years. Aired throughout the year, the show is usually viewed during advisement periods. All year long, show producers and reporters have opportunities to take content ideas and work them into popular show segments.  

From planning and editing to playing the show, students in the film program at North Atlanta love getting to work on producing the show.

“11 Stories” is definitely a complex show to create and the team who does it brings things together in the audio, video and film classroom on the 11th floor, with Louis Alfred serving as the faculty adviser. Senior Taylor Diamond is part of the production team that puts the show together. The whole endeavor requires lots of effort and plenty of staff teamwork. “Everyone has a different role in making the show happen, as well as different ideas, so it takes a lot of people to develop, film, edit, and distribute the news show,” Diamond said.

Among all the different roles, time is also a big factor as students collaborate and work through the show to make it look as professional as possible. It typically takes two weeks to do the pre-production, shooting, and editing for each staff member’s individual segments. “It’s a lot of work but it’s totally worth it when the show airs and you see your hard work,” said senior Will Butler.  

Another plus for students on the 11 Stories staff is the opportunity to use sophisticated technology and camera gear. “We have really cool equipment available to us that people actually use in the television and film industry,” Diamond said.

For the show, students work with high-quality editing tools like Adobe Premiere Pro. Among staff members there is wide agreement that using the technology and acquiring real-world technical skills is a decided advantage.

From working on this show, North Atlanta film students continue to gain experience and knowledge about television and film making. Many students are keeping film in mind for their careers, so their experience with the show is a career-enhancing opportunity. “I’ve loved getting to work as a team and contribute my skills in order to create a final product,” said senior Carson Reynolds.

Next time your advisement teacher pulls up “11 Stories” during homeroom, show viewers are advised to watch with an open mind and be think about all the work that goes into making it. There is a lot happening behind the scenes and plenty of students putting their time into making it a great show. It takes a lot to make it showtime, but North Atlanta film students have the talent to get it done every time.