“Hoop-Coming” A Slam Dunk for School Spirit

Hoop+Dreams%3A+Clarke+Peoples%2C+junior+class+president%2C+and+Jennifer+Page%2C+SGA+faculty+adviser%2C+show+their+Hoop-Coming+pride.+

Maddy Carter

Hoop Dreams: Clarke Peoples, junior class president, and Jennifer Page, SGA faculty adviser, show their “Hoop-Coming” pride.

North Atlanta is taking a strong shot this season — to completely change the way Warriors think about homecoming. The SGA’s “Hoop-coming” will bring the homecoming spirit usually seen during the fall football season and transplanting it to the winter basketball season. The first-ever event will take place during the week of January 29.

The week will begin with Monday’s “Sleepless Night” pajama day. “We’ve seen great success with student participation in previous pajama days, and it really shows that students are willing to build school spirit,” said body president Chandler Smith.

Tuesday’s theme is “Twin and Tacky” day. Students are encouraged to find a  “twin” and display their zany style, or just simply dress tacky. To go along with Wednesday’s student vs. teacher after-school basketball game, students are encouraged to wear their favorite team’s jersey or college wear. On Thursday, the SGA has returned “Throwback Thursday” to one of the weekday themes and a basketball themed movie will be presented that evening.

“Just as with Pajama Day, students find unique ways to express themselves when we have throwback Thursdays and we find high participation there as well,” Smith said.

Finally, Friday’s theme will be “Black Out.” Students are encouraged to wear all black in an ultimate display of school spirit. The day will include a pep rally, senior night and basketball game against Johns Creek. Junior basketball player Sam Jennings is among those excited about the new event. “I love the thought of putting more emphasis and support into our basketball season,” he said.

In addition to each day’s themes, students will be able to play their own school appropriate music in the cafeteria for 1 dollar all week. Additionally, participating teachers will hold door decoration contests to see captures the “Hoopcoming” spirit the most.

Although there will be no dance like the homecoming for football season, it will be different from anything the school has ever seen since. “It is something I have never heard of, but it should be a cool thing,” said junior Julian Bass. “I really like how it will be unique to North Atlanta and prove that we truly have the best fans.”

There’s always a need for more school spirit at North Atlanta and event organizers figure “Hoop-coming” will be a slam dunk hit among students.