Find, Keep, Tag and Tweet

You’re strolling down the fourth floor hallway before first period on a Friday morning, heading to class when your phone buzzes with a notification from The National Art Honor Society’s Free Art Friday Twitter. As you look at the picture of the clue they have posted as to where a piece of art has been placed, you realize that you know where that industrial-sized printer can be found. You sprint down to the second floor and fix your eyes upon the library door. You rush to the Media Center, but there is someone else rushing to the same spot. You pick up the pace and the other student behind you starts to run. You bolt to the art and pluck the prize out from its spot. The student behind you lets out a defeated sigh and walks away. You smile triumphantly and look at the beautiful artwork made and hidden by a member of the National Art Honor Society at North Atlanta. You have won.

Free Art Friday (FAF) is a relatively new program at North Atlanta, with only about a year and a half under its belt. It began when the National Art Honor Society was founded at North Atlanta as an outlet for the school’s most creative art students to showcase their talents. Initially a “gifting art movement in Atlanta,” North Atlanta FAF has become a fun way for students to explore the school, find fun art to keep, and spread creativity. For visual arts teacher Kimberly Landers, the program is a great, fun way to raise awareness about art in the school community. “So many people don’t know the true joy of art today. Free Art Friday gets students involved in a program that is not only fun but shares the beauty that our North Atlanta art students create,” said Landers.

The 16 students who are a part of the National Art Honor Society arrive early to school on Friday mornings to hide the pieces of art they have made throughout the week. They then send out tweets and pictures on their Twitter and Instagram that will give students who follow the feeds clues as to where they can find art to take home. Most of the North Atlanta community has absolutely no idea what Free Art Friday is or how to participate. This, Landers says, is the most difficult part of conducting the weekly event, because not many people follow the FAF social media pages. However, for some students, like junior Emma Lawson, hunting down art has become a cherished part of their Fridays. “I have such a blast finding the pieces, because it is just so amazing to be able to admire the creativity my peers express in their artwork,” said Lawson.

In this 2017-2018 school year, the North Atlanta National Art Honor Society is back and better than ever with new pieces of artwork to share with the school. Anna Day is the president and one of the original members of the group. She believes that, if more awareness is raised about Free Art Fridays, the program could take off and become one of our school’s beloved traditions.  In the meantime, the members of the National Art Honor Society, alongside Landers and Day, will try their hardest to spread awareness about art. Free Art Friday began on September 8 and will continue on every Friday of the year. You can follow the FAF Twitter and Instagram feeds at the handle @nahs_faf to find new creations around the school each week. Happy hunting!