Giving Up to Gain: Lent Followers Say “No” for 40 Days

Lent+is+a+season+of+forty+days%2C+not+counting+Sundays%2C+which+begins+on+Ash+Wednesday+and+ends+on+Holy+Saturday.+

Olivia Chewning

Lent is a season of forty days, not counting Sundays, which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday.

For most high school students, participation in Lent seems impractical. After all, it could be argued, in an era of smart-phone borne instant gratification, the notion of giving things up seems almost antiquated.

Lent is the 40-day-long period that leads up to the religious holiday of Easter. Many Christians who commemorate the season use it for times of deeper prayer reflection and also by giving up certain pleasures or habits. And among North Atlanta students there are some who are currently following Lenten customs by giving something up. They say that saying “No” means saying yes to deeper spiritual realities.  

Lent always starts on the Christian holiday of Ash Wednesday which this year was March 1st. Traditionally, Lenten days are used as a time of fasting, prayer and abstaining from things to prepare for Easter, the day that Christians around the world mark the resurrection of Jesus.

Statistics have shown that some of the most common things people give up for lent are sweets (including chocolate) and beverages. Beyond food, others avoid habits they might find distracting or just wrong. These practices can include swearing or social media. For the more dedicated Lenten types, fasting from food is a common practice. Among North Atlanta students there are those who are going without meals. “I love how I’m feeling when I’m fasting,” said senior Andrea Ayala.

Ayala said her move to give up all all animal products and to embrace the vegan lifestyle has been eye opening. “I’m really starting to see how food impacts my body. Yes, I’m giving up something, but I really feel like I’m gaining a lot in terms of insights,” she said.

Senior Lauren Grubbs is another who is giving up meat for Lent. She said going vegan has been particularly hard since she categorizes herself as a meat lover. “It’s definitely tempting when I am around people who are eating meat but I like the challenge,” said senior Lauren Grubbs.

Those who practice it say Lent is a period of challenges, reflection and self discovery. In an era of instant communication and gratification, a counter-cultural period of self-denial leads to new insights, they say. “Every time we say ‘No’ to something we’re possibly saying ‘Yes’ to something good, or even better. That’s what Lent means to me,” said Grubbs.

And where giving up, math tests is concerned, that could be a matter between you, your Maker and your math teacher.