Filed under A&E, Showcase

North Atlanta Students Pitch in to Make Sutton Showcase a Success

The involvement of North Atlanta students in the Sutton Showcase had a large impact on the performers.

Bailey Diamond

Sutton Showcase, the annual talent show at our nearby feeder middle school, has been a positive opportunity for middle schoolers to perform and show off their talents for many years. Many current North Atlanta students were part of the show back in their middle school days, and get the opportunity to continue being a part of it now by coaching performers and helping the show come together as a whole. This year’s showcase will be on April 27th and 28th.

It definitely takes a lot of time and hard work to fill the role of a Showcase coach. North Atlanta students who coach take time out of their week to go to the middle school to work with their performers to make sure their act looks good, sounds good, and works great on stage, down to the fine details. Other North Atlanta students take lots of time and energy to help out with other crucial aspects to the show, including working the lights and sound, helping with stage makeup, and working backstage on show nights. A good bit of determination is needed for these jobs, but they agree that the work is completely worth it. Freshman Sophie Terraso is among those who are making contributions at her old school. “I really like working with the kids, getting to know them, and watching the progress of the act,” she said.

Many other North students expressed the same sentiment as Terraso.  There is a wide range of talents at the middle school, and this means that the show’s acts are very diverse. From instrument playing to dancing to emceeing, Showcase is bursting with skill and flair. Sophomore Lenox Johnson who has been in the Sutton talent show and is currently a coach, reminisced about her middle school performing days. “I remember seeing a jump rope act in 6th grade, which was so cool because it was something you really wouldn’t see in any other talent show,” she said.

Johnson said this year’s show features a particularly wide spectrum of acts. “Every year there’s everything from Beatles acts to musical theater so there’s something for everyone,” she said.

The majority of North Atlanta coaches have been helping with the middle school talent show for a while now. Many have helped since their freshman year, and have continued to help each school year. They say that coaching young talent has taught them leadership and mentoring skills along with other important lessons. “I’ve learned about time management and patience, and I’ve also developed a mentor relationship with the kids in the show,” said junior Katherine Atkinson. “It’s allowed me to impact other people’s lives.”

Sophomore Emily Song is another Sutton Showcase coach who’s had an entirely worthwhile experience helping out. “It’s really cool to see all the talented middle schoolers and help improve their performances,” Song said. “You can tell it’s something they’re passionate about and it’s really fun to help them with that passion.”

The experience is one that unifies students across grade levels and from all different backgrounds. “It really gives good opportunities for different students from all grades to get together and do something that they’ll be able to remember and be proud of for a long time,” Johnson said.