Filed under News, Showcase

Destination Athens: 60 North Atlanta Students Accepted to UGA

Classic+City+Cohort%3A+This+year+an+impressive+60+out+of+107+North+Atlanta+students+who+applied+to+the+University+of+Georgia+were+accepted.+Shown+here+are+future+UGA+students+Grace+Hackett%2C+Tucker+Shields%2C+Hollis+Midkiff+and+Alejandro+Marin.+

Classic City Cohort: This year an impressive 60 out of 107 North Atlanta students who applied to the University of Georgia were accepted. Shown here are future UGA students Grace Hackett, Tucker Shields, Hollis Midkiff and Alejandro Marin.

Maddy Carter

Maddy Carter

Maddy Carter

Few schools are as selective or as highly desired in this state as the University of Georgia. The number of applicants to the school is annually in the tens of thousands, and for North Atlanta students, interest in attending is historically intense.

Of course it is worth delving into why exactly UGA is so selective. Many experts pin this on on the recent creation of the HOPE scholarship, a Georgia exclusive scholarship that makes tuition in state schools like UGA extremely affordable. This combined with a high reputation and sense of tradition that accompany the school makes it highly competitive. Despite this, dozens of Warriors have risen above the odds and were accepted into the school.

One of the UGA acceptees is Hadley Horowitz. The senior will take up UGA’s offer and will start there in the fall. Horowitz noted the effect the IB program has had on her acceptance, “It incredibly helpful and I’m so excited to be going to school with all of my amazing IB peers,” she said.

Senior IB student Tara Torossian is another Warrior who will venture to the “Classic City” for her studies in the fall. “High school has been great but I’m excited to go outside of my comfort zone and discover myself,” she said.

Our school’s resident college counselors were also extremely excited about this extraordinary number of acceptances, as it shows the results of their years of coachung these students to success. “Clearly it’s a strong endorsement of what we’re doing here when so many are going to attend our state’s flagship university,” said Arnnelle Vilfort, one of the College and Career Center counselors.

This year’s high number of acceptances to UGA is no doubt a tremendous victory for North Atlanta . But with so many students going off to find learning and success in Athens perhaps they will inspire the next generation of students to meet, and even exceed these high standards.